Fromer Stampede Goaltender Eric Hartzell Signs with Pittsburgh Penguins
Sioux Falls, SD-Former Sioux Falls Stampede goaltender Eric Hartzell signed a one-year entry-level contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday. The deal runs through the 2012-13 season and has an average annual value of $925,000.
It ends a big weekend for Stampede alumni who had their 19th former player skate in the NHL when defenseman Chad Ruhwedel signed and skated with the Buffalo Sabres yesterday. Last night, former forward Anthony Day helped Yale earn their first ever NCAA championship when they defeated Hartzell and Quinnipiac.
Hartzell, 23, led Quinnipiac University to the school's first-ever Frozen Four appearance this past weekend in Pittsburgh. Hartzell helped the Bobcats reach Saturday night's championship game.
The 6-foot-4, 187-pound netminder was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award as the NCAA's top college hockey player this season after posting a 30-7-5 record, 1.57 goals-against average and .933 save percentage in 42 starts.
Hartzell, who is a native of White Bear Lake, Minnesota, led the entire NCAA in minutes played this season (2522:02) and tied for third in shutouts with five while being named NCAA First-Team All-American.
Hartzell's outstanding season earned him several accolades including 2013 ECAC Player of the Year, ECAC Hockey Ken Dryden Goaltender of the Year, a selection to the ECAC First-Team All-Star squad, a spot on the All-New England All-Star team and a selection to the CollegeHockeyNews.com's First-Team.
In four seasons at Quinnipiac, Hartzell posted a career record of 58-27-17 with a 1.96 goals-against average, .924 save percentage and 10 shutouts in 106 career appearances. Hartzell's 1.96 goals-against average established a school record.
Prior to attending Quinnipiac, Hartzell played in Sioux Falls from 2007 to 2009, recording 39 career wins. He holds the franchise record for most consecutive minutes played without allowing a goal (201:06) and is second for most shutouts in a season with five.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 14, 2013
- Fromer Stampede Goaltender Eric Hartzell Signs with Pittsburgh Penguins - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Schedule Set for Phantoms' 1st-Round Playoff Series with Green Bay - Youngstown Phantoms
- Stampede to Face Lincoln in First Round of Playoffs - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Hawks Tie, Break Records - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Loss Closes Ice Season - Indiana Ice
- Drive to the Cup Begins Wednesday - Waterloo Black Hawks
- U.S. National Sled Team Beats Norway, 7-0, at 2013 IPC World Championship - U.S. National Team
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux Falls Stampede Stories
- Stars Top Stampede to Force Game 3 Thursday Night at PREMIER Center
- Stampede Shoot Down Stars in Series Opener, 5-3
- Stampede Earn a Point in Regular Season Finale
- Stampede Game at Fargo Postponed Until Sunday
- Stampede Clinch Home Ice Advantage Despite Loss to Fargo