Fresno Levels LA Galaxy II 3-0, Zorros Move into 4th Place in USL Western Conference
CARSON, Calif. - Los Zorros rebounded from its midweek stumble in dominant fashion with a 3-0 win against LA Galaxy II at Dignity Health Sports Park to move into third place in the USL Western Conference with 16 points at 4W-1L-4D, and also pick up their third clean sheet of the season.
Jackson opened the scoring at the 26th minute from the penalty, converting the handball foul on his shot moments before. Eight minutes later, the Brazilian winger sprinted 40 yards on a counter-attack to put the final pass to Qudus Lawal at the back post to double the advantage. Midfielder Seth Moses started the play with a tackle at midfield, where he then found Chaney on a 3-2 counter. Chaney passed it to Jackson down the right wing, where he whipped in a first-touch cross to Lawal for the score.
After halftime, Moses created another goalscoring opportunity, winning a duel about 35 yards out, before finding Lawal on the right side with plenty of room to attack. The 24-year-old forward from Nigerian side-stepped LA goalkeeper Eric Lopez and put away the easy finish for his second goal of the night.
Fresno came out firing early, with Christian Chaney firing three shots in the opening 12 minutes, and Jackson trying a long-range effort at the 12th minute. Los Zorros' high pressure finally paid off when Jackson's shot from 20 yards out struck the arm of LA's Adrian Vera for the penalty.
LA Galaxy's saw an early first-half equalizer from Ethan Zubak nullified by an offsides flag. The hosts saw two strong chances after halftime, but shots by Don Tchilao and Augustine Williams flew high and wide.
It is the first win for Fresno FC over LA Galaxy II in USL Championship play, which also ended the hosts' five-game home unbeaten streak. Fresno center back Mickey Daly finished with two blocks and four clearances and center back Ramon Martin Del Campo had 11 clearances and two interceptions and one block to help goalkeeper CJ Cochran earn his third clean sheet of the season.
Next up for Los Zorros is a second-round US Open Cup match at El Farolito (NPSL) this Wednesday, May 15th, 2019 at Boxer Stadium. Kickoff is set for 2:30 p.m. PT.
Fresno returns to USL Championship action the following week as they play host to Austin Bold FC on May 22 at Chukchansi Park. Tickets for the match are on sale now at FresnoFC.com and the stadium box office. Fans can also take advantage of the 4-for-$40 ticket special for all Fresno weekday matches.
EL MEXICANO MAN OF THE MATCH: QUDUS LAWAL
Lawal put himself in the right place at the right time twice to notch a pair of goals in his first start of the 2019 USL Championship season.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 13, 2019
- Match Preview vs. Cal FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Nashville SC Steady in 9th in Latest USL Power Rankings - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: #TBRvVIL - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- San Antonio FC Hosts Laredo Heat SC in Open Cup Second Round - San Antonio FC
- Preview: Open Cup Second Round Awaits Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- Riverhounds Academy East Hires Afrim Latifi, Announces 2019-2020 Staff - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Memphis 901 FC Acquires Forward Lagos Kunga on Loan from Atlanta United - Memphis 901 FC
- Rewind: a Look Back at Nashville SC's 2018 U.S. Open Cup Run - Nashville SC
- Fresno Levels LA Galaxy II 3-0, Zorros Move into 4th Place in USL Western Conference - Fresno FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Draws with Western Conference Leader New Mexico - El Paso Locomotive FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Fresno Football Club Issues Official Statement
- No. 3 Fresno FC vs. No. 6 El Paso Locomotive FC Playoff Preview
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview