Former Ems Manager Jesus Feliciano Named Angels' First Base Coach
EUGENE, OR - It all starts here. Normally, a moniker reserved for the players each summer in Eugene, taking their first step on the road to the big leagues. Today, a former manager of the Emeralds completed his journey to the top level, as Jesus Feliciano was named the new First Base and Outfield Coach of the Los Angeles Angels.
Feliciano managed in Eugene during the 2016 and 2017 seasons, leading the club to unprecedented success in both years. In 2016, the Ems cruised through a spectacular regular season, finishing a league record 54-22 overall, on their war to the franchise's first outright Northwest League Championship in over 40 years. In 2017, the Ems returned to the Championship Series, before falling to the Vancouver Canadians in 4 games.
His calling card for each of those Ems' seasons was preaching aggressiveness in all phases of the game, including a relentless style on the basepaths, with players never afraid to take the extra base and push defenses into making mistakes. Feliciano was also known as a players' manager, as his youthful exuberance connected well with the younger players in the Cubs' system.
In 2019, Feliciano will join a brand new coaching staff for the Angels, headlined by manager Brad Ausmus, a former manager of the Detroit Tigers, as the team looks to rebound from back-to-back disappointing seasons.
The Eugene Emeralds are the short-season Class A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. The Ems won their 2nd NWL Championship in the past three seasons in 2018, defeating the Spokane Indians 3 games to none. The Eugene Emeralds are dedicated to providing the best in family entertainment and won the Larry MacPhail Award in 2018, awarded to the club with the top promotional efforts in all of Minor League Baseball. For more information, please visit our website at www.EmeraldsBaseball.com or call the Emeralds front office at 541-342-5367.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from December 3, 2018
- Former Ems Manager Jesus Feliciano Named Angels' First Base Coach - Eugene Emeralds
- Los Monarcas de Eugene Named Finalists for Copa De La Diversion - Eugene Emeralds
- Santa Claus Is Coming to Avista Stadium December 4 & December 6 - Spokane Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Eugene Emeralds Stories
- Ems Announce 2019 Coaching and Field Staff
- Former Ems Manager Jesus Feliciano Named Angels' First Base Coach
- Los Monarcas de Eugene Named Finalists for Copa De La Diversion
- Elmore Sports Group Wins Organization of the Year
- Elmore Sports Groups Wins Organization of the Year