Five Cubs Named to FSL All-Star Team
[DAYTONA BEACH, FL] - Five Daytona Cubs will be in friendly territory for the Florida State League All-Star Game on June 16. The top four hitters in the Cubs' lineup, along with Opening Day starting pitcher Mitch Atkins, have earned spots as Eastern Division All-Stars.
Atkins, a Midwest League All-Star last year, held the FSL's fifth-best ERA (1.88) as of May 31. The right-hander is 4-3 this season with 38 strikeouts and 12 walks in 57.1 innings pitched. Atkins has been at his best recently, winning his last two starts while delivering 17 consecutive scoreless innings.
Daytona's entire starting outfield has also been selected, headlined by Tyler Colvin. A first-round draft pick and the Northwest League's top prospect last year, Colvin has been rock solid in 2007 as Daytona's starting center fielder. Colvin leads the league with 39 RBI and ranks second in the FSL with 18 doubles. He also paces the Cubs with 55 hits.
Chris Amador was named an All-Star for the first time in his professional career. Batting from the leadoff spot for much of the first half, Amador has been a dual threat with speed and power. Amador leads Daytona with four home runs and 13 stolen bases.
Jesus Valdez has been Mr. Consistency from the cleanup spot for the Cubs. Valdez strung together a 14-game hitting streak in the month of May, and is now batting .276. His 54 hits are the second-most on the team. Last year, Valdez hit .302 in the Midwest League and finished second in the league with 154 hits.
Matt Matulia rounds out the Daytona All-Star contingency. The scrappy infielder has been versatile in the field, playing shortstop, third base and second base during the first half. Matulia has scored 27 runs and stolen eight bases through May 31. He has also drawn a team-high 28 walks and leads the Cubs with five triples. This is Matulia's first full professional season. He was drafted last year out of The Citadel in the 24th round.
Florida State League All-Star Weekend takes the stage at Jackie Robinson Ballpark on June 15-16. On Friday, June 15, the All-Star FanFest will include team autograph sessions, a fireworks extravaganza and a party on the Riverwalk. On the field, baseball's future stars will showcase their tools in a Skills Challenge and a Home Run Derby.
The All-Star Game on Saturday, June 16, pits the FSL Eastern Division All-Stars against the best of the Western Division. First pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m. A fireworks extravaganza will follow the game.
To order tickets for All-Star Weekend, call the Daytona Cubs box office at (386) 257-3172.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 1, 2007
- Flying Tigers/Yankees Postponed - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Samardzija starts tonight - Daytona Tortugas
- Seven Sarasota Reds Named to Western Division Squad - Sarasota Reds
- Five Cubs Named to FSL All-Star Team - Daytona Tortugas
- Dick Howser High School All Star Teams Announced - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Four Flying Tigers Selected to Florida State League All-Star Game - Lakeland Flying Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Daytona Tortugas Stories
- Snoop Dogg's Puff Puff Pass Tour Coming to the Jack December 22, 2018
- Tortugas to Continue Affiliation with the Reds in Daytona Beach
- Tortugas Title Quest Falls Two Games Short After 8-5 Loss
- Tortugas Win, Force Game 4 at Home
- Tortugas Use Strong Antone Performance to Fight off Elimination