Falcons Sign Banwell, Release Collins
Springfield, Mass. - The Springfield Falcons, AHL affiliate of the Columbus Blue Jackets, announced on Thursday that they have signed defenseman Mike Banwell to a professional try-out (PTO) and have released forward Chris Collins from his PTO.
Banwell played in 19 games with the Worcester this season prior to being released from his PTO earlier this week. With the Sharks, Banwell scored his first professional goal and added two assists for three points in 19 contests. Banwell began this season with the ECHL's Trenton Titans, notching an assist over 10 games.
A second-year pro, Banwell skated his rookie season of 2011-2012 with the Titans and the Albany Devils. Banwell played in 24 contests with Albany, posting three assists, and participated in 11 games with Trenton, recording one helper. He made his professional debut over four games with Albany at the end of the 2010-2011 campaign, registering an assist.
Prior to turning pro, Banwell, a native of Scarborough, Ontario, played four seasons collegiately at the University of Maine (NCAA, D-I). In 109 career outings from 2007-2011, Banwell accumulated 18 points (5g-13a).
Collins, who signed with Springfield on Dec. 10, played in four games with the Falcons and was scoreless. The seventh-year pro has skated in 373 professional contests between the AHL, ECHL, and Europe, compiling 233 points (107g-126a).
Springfield's game against the Albany Devils, originally scheduled for this Friday, Feb. 8, has been postponed until Tuesday, Apr. 2 at 7:00 p.m. due to a snowstorm expected to impact New England later this week. Tickets for Friday's contest will be valid on that date.
The Falcons play their only game of the weekend on Sunday, Feb. 10 at 3:00 p.m. when they host the Portland Pirates. The first 1,000 fans in attendance will receive a free Falcons baseball hat, courtesy of the University of New Haven.
Single-game tickets to see the Falcons in 2012-2013 can be purchased at the MassMutual Center Box Office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. through game time on Saturday home dates, and starting four hours prior to Sunday home contests. Fans can also purchase tickets by logging onto Ticketmaster.com. For information about discounted group packages to Falcons home games, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 7, 2013
- Falcons Sign Banwell, Release Collins - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Sign Yellow Horn - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage Sign Defenseman Mike Marcou - San Antonio Rampage
- Valentine's Gifts Delivered by Dax - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Set for College Night Next Friday, Faith and Family Night on Sunday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gilbert Reassigned to Bloomington - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Alumni to Take Part in "Mend a Broken Heart Pub Crawl" for Harbor House - Rochester Americans
- Heat Release Sexsmith from PTO - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins and Easter Seals Present Second Annual "Red, White And Brews" Benefit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Set Season Ticket Prices for 2013-14 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Defenseman Brett Flemming Returned to Reading - Hershey Bears
- Rampage Sled Hockey Team to Host Tournament this Weekend - San Antonio Rampage
- Whale Add Two to Roster - Connecticut Whale
- IceCaps Partner with Scotiabank on Girls HockeyFest - St. John's IceCaps
- Amerks Reassign Forward Jacob Lagace to Bakersfield - Rochester Americans
- Bears Announce Roster Moves - Hershey Bears
- Big Games, Bigger Promos for Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Barons Offering Two Programs to Benefit Special Olympics Oklahoma - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Lose 6-2 to Rochester in Rematch - Abbotsford Heat
- Flynn, Porter Propel Amerks to 6-2 Win over Heat - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.