Express Fall Short in Championship Loss
Traverse City, MI - The Eau Claire Express (3-1) took an early lead but could not hold the Traverse City Pit Spitters (4-0) off in the Northwoods League Championship Game. In a nail-biting and exciting game to the very last pitch, the Express could not finish things out as they fell by a 3-2 final.
Lakeland University Postgame Recap
Right away the Express jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the 1st inning. The fans donning burnt orange cheered loudly and rang their cowbells as back-to-back singles from Zach Gilles (Central Michigan) and Matt Bottcher (Illinois-Chicago) put two runners on with just one out. Sam Kohnle (Winona State) came up with the big 2 RBI single to drive in both Gilles and Bottcher.
The Pit Spitters put one on the board in the bottom of the 5th inning on a walk, a sac bunt, and a sacrifice fly.
The 2-1 lock and Express lead continued until the bottom of the 9th inning. After two leadoff walks, and a hit, two Eau Claire errors allowed Traverse City to come driving back to with 3-2 on a walk off error.
The entire Eau Claire Express Organization would like to extend their gratitude to the greatest fan base in the Northwoods League. We have the absolute best fans in the Northwoods League, and we cannot thank each and every one of you enough for your support this season. We cannot do any of it without you! Stay tuned on the Express website and social media for continued coverage of the offseason.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Express Fall Short in Championship Loss - Eau Claire Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Eau Claire Express Stories
- Uelmen Joins Mesa Solar Sox of the MLB Arizona Fall League
- Alumni Update Presented by Lakeland University: Raising Trophies and Mini Parades
- Alumni Update Presented by Lakeland University: The Saints Go Marching In
- Former Express INF Sam Haggerty Debuts with the Mets
- Alumni Update: Call-Ups and MiLB Awards