Educator, Defenseman John Lintz Connects Students, Lacrosse Community Via EduCup Challenge
During the season, it wasn't uncommon for Mammoth defenseman John Lintz to occasionally grade papers while traveling on a flight from his home in Edmonton, Canada to his team's home and away games. It isn't always ideal.
"Most of the times what happens is I get through three essays and then I fall asleep," Lintz quipped.
Lintz acknowledges the situation is challenging at times; given the differing mindsets needed between dealing with the educational needs of a teenager one afternoon and barking defensive instructions at practice later that evening. The secondary educator misses interacting with the lacrosse community and his students alike and was quick to get involved when the Everfi EduCup Challenge came to life.
"The EduCup is an educational and competitive initiative getting students involved while they're learning from home," Lintz added. "Getting athletes involved from the various major leagues was a cool way of interacting and making sure they are staying interested in educational activities and exercises throughout the summer."
Six professional sports leagues: MLB, NFL, NHL, NLL, the Premier League and MLS, partnered with Everfi to support the EduCup in the hopes that involving athletes and league entities will help keep students engaged with their studies. Lintz agrees with the approach.
"Anytime you can combine sports with education, I think right away, it grabs kids' attention," he said. "In talking to a few of my students that have struggled during this time, I think one of the big things they feel is that they are isolated in their bedrooms - they aren't leaving their house and they're not connecting with anyone. If you're feeling isolated or struggling, make sure you're connecting with someone who can help you.
The educator shared that it's the mental aspects of this social distancing period that sparked his interest in participating in the two-week challenge.
"I think a big thing for us to consider is the mental health side of things," Lintz explained. "Kids have really missed that connection to their friends, activities, after-school life, sports and interacting with their teachers. Trying to replace those interactions as a teacher is challenging."
Lintz will host an Instagram Story Takeover on the National Lacrosse League's Instagram (@NLL) Friday, May 29 to conclude and celebrate the final day of the Everfi EduCup Challenge.
"I'm super excited about it - I think it will show aspects of my life here in Edmonton and what's been keeping my students and I busy this spring."
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from May 29, 2020
- Kroenke Sports Charities Holds North High School Commencement Express in Pepsi Center Parking Lot - Colorado Mammoth
- Update from Georgia Swarm President/Co-Owner Andy Arlotta - Georgia Swarm
- Educator, Defenseman John Lintz Connects Students, Lacrosse Community Via EduCup Challenge - Colorado Mammoth
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Mammoth Stories
- Mammoth Receive Second, Third-Round Compensatory Draft Selections for 2020 NLL Entry Draft
- Mammoth Bid Farewell to Former Defenseman, Captain Dan Coates
- Mammoth Acquire Forward Zed Williams from Georgia Swarm
- Ward, Hope Named to All-Pro Second Team During 2019-20 National Lacrosse League Awards
- Ward, Hope, Jenner, Hutchings Named Finalists for 2019-20 National Lacrosse League Awards