ECHL to Conduct On-Ice Officials Training Camp this Weekend
September 26, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. - The ECHL announced on Wednesday its annual On-Ice Officials Training Camp will be held Friday through Sunday in Toledo, Ohio at the Huntington Center and Park Inn Hotel.
The preseason camp will include returning members of the officiating staff, newly-hired referees and linesmen and the ECHL supervisory staff.
"The ECHL Officiating Department is pleased with the dedication of our Officials whose preseason preparation and training will carry them into the regular season and through the Kelly Cup Finals," said ECHL Vice President of Hockey Operations Joe Ernst. "We have NHL prospects that are joining and returning to the ECHL Officiating Staffas well as a very good core group of veteran officials that have been around for a few years."
The ECHL Officiating Department is managed by Vice President of Hockey Operations, Joe Ernst. In addition to the on-ice officials the staff includes: Commissioner Emeritus Patrick J. Kelly, and Supervisors Jim Doyle, Dennis Hextall, Mike McDevitt, Jerry Pateman and Mike Pearce.
"The Supervisory staff that we have at the ECHL is second to only the NHL," Ernst said. "The dedication and the pride these gentlemen take in helping develop these officials throughout the season is a credit to each one of them.
"The officials working in the ECHL receive coaching that is designed to get them to the next level of hockey as well as the level of play that we have each night in the ECHL. It is evidenced by the number of officials who have moved up to the NHL. Francis Charron, Ghislain Hebert, Jean Hebert, T.J. Luxmore, Matt MacPherson, Jon McIsaac and Graham Skilliter all have been hired by the NHL over the last five season, as well as numerous referees and linesman that have been hired to work full-time in the AHL."
The officials at the training camp will participate in on-ice instruction, rules tests, team building exercises and video sessions as well as receive a thorough review of the ECHL Rule Book and League directives with an emphasis on Rule Enforcement Standards.
Mike Murray, Vice President of Hockey Operations for the American Hockey League and Toby Oothoudt, Off-Ice Crew Chief for the Toledo Walleye, will address the officials.
Training camp will include officials and League staff dinner on Saturday night at The Blarney Restaurant located in downtown Toledo.
The ECHL would like to thank the Toledo Walleye Organization; Julie Bolfa of Destination Toledo; Ed Beczynski of The Blarney; Steve Miller, Scott Fuernstein, Amanda Caig and Mike McCall of the Huntington Center and Chris Simmons and the staff at the Park Inn for making this all possible with their efforts.
There are 26 former ECHL officials scheduled to work as part of the NHL officiating team in 2012-13 with referees Darcy Burchell, Francis Charron, Ghislain Hebert, Jean Hebert, Marc Joannette, Trent Knorr, Mike Leggo, Dave Lewis, T.J. Luxmore, Wes McCauley, Jon McIsaac, Dean Morton, Dan O'Rourke, Brian Pochmara, Kevin Pollock, Kyle Rehman, Chris Rooney, Graham Skilliter, Justin St. Pierre and Ian Walsh, and linesmen Steve Barton, Matt MacPherson, Brian Mach, Tim Nowak, Bryan Pancich and Jay Sharrers.
Barton, McCauley, Nowak, O'Rourke, Pochmara, Pollock, Rooney, Sharrers and Walsh all worked in the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Barton, McCauley, O'Rourke, Pollock, Rooney and Sharrersworked the Conference Finals and O'Rourke and Rooney worked the Stanley Cup Final. It was thesixth year in a row that Barton, McCauley, Nowak, Pollock and Sharrers have worked the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from September 26, 2012
- Trenton Titans Announce Training Camp Schedule - Trenton Titans
- Jackals Reveal 2012-13 Promotional Calendar - Elmira Jackals
- Thunder Training Camp Opens Friday, September 28 - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Re-Sign Four Players - Alaska Aces
- Brandt Named 7th Captain in Gladiators Team History - Atlanta Gladiators
- Reign Sign NHL Veteran to Blue Line - Ontario Reign
- Steelheads Add Three to Training Camp Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Gladiators Open Training Camp Friday - Atlanta Gladiators
- Grizzlies to Hold Training Camp at Utah Olympic Oval - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Add Experience with Nelson; Grit with West - Bakersfield Condors
- Eagles Add Two More to Blue Line Crew - Colorado Eagles
- Cyclones Announce 2012 Training Camp Schedule - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Add Toughness with Lyon, Good - Orlando Solar Bears
- Greenville Road Warriors Release Game of the Month Plan - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL to Conduct On-Ice Officials Training Camp this Weekend - ECHL
- IceMen Announce Training Camp Schedule - Evansville IceMen
- Nailers and WesBanco Arena Announce Improvements - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.