Early Hole Buries Wingnuts in Series Finale
WICHITA, Kans. (July 5, 2017) - The Winnipeg Goldeyes raced out to an early 7-0 lead and held off the Wichita Wingnuts 9-5 in the series finale on Wednesday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
Winnipeg (23-22) burst out of the gates with four runs in the first inning and three more in the second for a 7-0 lead. Each of the four tallies in the first was unearned against Wingnuts starter Jesse Pratt (1-1), who was making his first start of the season after Tyler Kane was a late scratch.
The Wingnuts (33-13) pulled to within 7-3 in the fourth thanks to back-to-back home runs from Richard Prigatano and Leo Vargas, the second time this year Wichita has produced consecutive round-trippers. The two teams then traded runs in the fifth, with David Rohm singling in a run for Winnipeg and Matt Chavez delivering an RBI single off Goldeyes starter Mikey O'Brien (5-2).
A Mason Katz sacrifice fly extended the Winnipeg advantage to 9-4 in the top of the sixth, though Chavez responded with a long solo shot in the seventh to trim the deficit back to four. Josh Goossen-Brown tossed a pair of scoreless innings to give the offense a chance to rally, but Goldeyes closer Ryan Chaffee got a double play in the ninth to help nail down the victory.
The Wingnuts are off on Thursday as they travel to South Dakota to kick-off a three-game series with the Sioux Falls Canaries. Alex Boshers (6-2, 3.87) gets the start on Friday, with first pitch set for 7:05. All the action will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM, and at americanassociationbaseball.tv.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 6, 2017
- Saints Baffled by Herron - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Activate League Era Leader Parry from DL - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saltdogs Sign Former Rajin Cajun Joe Robbins - Lincoln Saltdogs
- It's East Coast vs. West Coast - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Take over 1st Place with 5 Run 1st Inning - Kansas City T-Bones
- Goldeyes Ride Early Offence to End Wingnuts Streak - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Early Hole Buries Wingnuts in Series Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs Toss Shutout to Take Series from Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.