Drillers TCL Team Begins Play as MiLB Season Is Officially Cancelled
Major League BaseballÃ¢=84 cent (MLBÃ¢=84 cent) has informed Minor League BaseballÃ¢=84 cent (MiLBÃ¢=84 cent) that it will not be providing its affiliated Minor League teams with players for the 2020 season. As a result, the 2020 Minor League Baseball season has been cancelled, including for the Tulsa Drillers.
This announcement does not affect the Drillers team that is beginning play Tuesday night in the Texas Collegiate League (TCL). The TCL Drillers will play a 30-game schedule with 15 home games slated to be played at ONEOK Field in front of fans but with a limited stadium capacity. The home schedule for the Drillers will run from June 30 through July 26.
Tuesday's announcement from MLB and MiLB means Tulsa will be without professional baseball for the first time since the summer of 1945.
"These are unprecedented times for our country and our organization as this is the first time in our history that we've had a summer without Minor League Baseball played," said Minor League Baseball President & CEO Pat O'Conner. "While this is a sad day for many, this announcement removes the uncertainty surrounding the 2020 season and allows our teams to begin planning for an exciting 2021 season of affordable family entertainment."
Minor League Baseball, which began as the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues, was founded on Sept. 5, 1901.
"We are disappointed about today's announcement, but we understand that these are unprecedented times for our country," said Drillers President Mike Melega. "We know that our fans are also disappointed about the loss of this season, but we are already making plans to come back even better in 2021. In the meantime, we are excited to offer live, high-quality baseball with our team in the Texas Collegiate Baseball League."
"We appreciate the great support and understanding that we have received from our season ticket members and sponsors. Without their support, these would be even more unsettling times for our franchise."
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 30, 2020
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled - Springfield Cardinals
- RoughRiders 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Shelved - Frisco RoughRiders
- Drillers TCL Team Begins Play as MiLB Season Is Officially Cancelled - Tulsa Drillers
- Hooks 2020 Season Canceled, Whataburger Field to Host Houston Astros Taxi Squad - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Whataburger Field to Host Astros' Taxi Squad - Corpus Christi Hooks
- MLB Officially Announces Cancellation of 2020 Minor League Season - Midland RockHounds
- Minor League Baseball Season Shelved, Texas Collegiate League Season Opens Tonight - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Northwest Arkansas Naturals Will Not Play in 2020 as Minor League Baseball Seasons Are Canceled - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled - Arkansas Travelers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Drillers Stories
- Drillers TCL Team Begins Play as MiLB Season Is Officially Cancelled
- July 3 and 4- Fireworks and High School Baseball
- Live Baseball Returns to ONEOK Field with First-Ever Game for Drillers TCL Team Set for June 30
- ONEOK Field to Host High School Senior Baseball Series July 3 & 4 Presented by Tulsa Tech
- ONEOK Field, Drillers to Host Team in Elite Collegiate League