Dragons Rank Tops in Polls
The two weekly AFL polls came out with the first place New York Dragons ranking at and near the top. The AFL Writers Association poll ranks the Dragons first in the league with 120 points and 12 of 16 first place votes. The AFL Power Poll from Arenafootball.com and written by Mike Rose ranks the Dragons second in the league, trailing the Colorado Crush.
Its nice to be recognized as one of the top teams in the league, said WR/DB Corey Johnson, who was recently named the US Army Ironman of the Week for Week Seven. But polls are just polls and we still have to go out and win games. Hopefully after this week, well get the credit we deserve and be first in both polls.
In the AFLWA Poll, the Dragons unseated the New Orleans VooDoo who previously held the spot and moved up two positions. Members of the media from all around the country vote in the AFLWA weekly poll. The Dragons also moved up two spots, from fourth to second, in the AFL Power Poll.
Below is an excerpt from the AFL Power Poll:
No. 2 New York Dragons (5-1) (LW: 4): The Dragons came out on top of one of the more entertaining games of the year last Saturday night, as they grabbed the 53-51 home win vs. the Force. New York has beaten two squads this year ranked in my top 8, but they both came in the comfy confines of the Nassau Coliseum. Theyre yet to have an impressive road victory on their resume, and a win this week at Austin still doesnt do the job. That being said, the Dragons have made their breaks this season with solid defensive play and outstanding special teams. Thats clearly a recipe for success in this league, but well see if that holds up in more hostile environments further along into the season. (Mike Rose, Arenafootball.com)
Below is the top-10 AFLWA rankings:
No 1. New York Dragons 5-1 (12) 120
2. Orlando Predators 5-2 (2) 91
3. Georgia Force 5-2 86
4. New Orleans VooDoo 5-2 77
5. Dallas Desperados 5-2 (1) 69
6. Tampa Bay Storm 4-2 (1) 53
7. Colorado Crush 4-2 49
8. Los Angeles Avengers 4-2 24
Also receiving votes: Chicago Rush 5, Las Vegas Gladiators 1, San Jose SaberCats 1.
*First place votes in parentheses
The Dragons start a two-game road swing this week against the Austin Wranglers. After their Week Nine contest in Columbus the following week, they return home to take on the Chicago Rush at the Nassau Coliseum on Saturday, April 2. Great seats are still available and interested fans should call 1-866-AFL-TIXX.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from March 16, 2005
- Orlando, Georgia battle for Southern bragging rights - AFL I
- Dolezel, Garcia approaching milestones in week eight - AFL I
- Arizona Rattlers game notes - Arizona Rattlers
- Dragons Rank Tops in Polls - New York Dragons
- Soul waive kicker Derek Schorejs - Philadelphia Soul
- Orlando Predators game notes - Orlando Predators
- Tampa Bay Storm game notes - Tampa Bay Storm
- Austin Wranglers game notes - Austin Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.