Donnie Scott Set to Return for Seventh Season with Mallards
Madison, WI - The Madison Mallards have announced that Donnie Scott will be returning to manage the club for the seventh season. Scott has made the playoffs in four of his six seasons with the Mallards, including winning the 2013 Summer Collegiate World Series.
"I'm really looking forward to getting back to Madison to compete for the Northwoods League Championship, and help develop the players who aspire someday to play in the big leagues," said Scott. "Our fan support and the energy they bring nightly is second to none in all of summer collegiate baseball. I want to thank Steve Schmitt, Vern Stenman, Conor Coloia, and Tyler Isham for the opportunity to be a part of this outstanding organization."
Before he came to Madison, Scott spent a summer in Battle Creek, and led the Bombers to a Northwoods League Championship, and winning Northwoods League Manager of the Year. In his seven years of managing in the NWL, Scott has earned 296 wins, good for third in league history, and most of anyone with less than ten seasons of coaching.
In 2018, Scott led the Mallards to a playoff berth by winning the first half. The team totaled 49 wins, breaking the previous franchise record of 43 wins.
"Donnie is the premier manager in all of college summer league baseball and we are thrilled to have him back at the helm in 2019," said Mallards General Manager, Tyler Isham. "Donnie's ability to balance winning and developing young talent is what makes him so great. Our players are privileged to play for him."
Scott was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the second round of the 1979 amateur draft, making his MLB debut for the club in 1983. Throughout his career he spent time in the big leagues as a catcher for the Rangers, Mariners, and Reds, before retiring in 1991.
After finishing his playing career, Scott went on to manage the Rookie level Billings Mustangs (Montana) of the Pioneer League. During that time he led the Mustangs to four league championships
Scott was named Manager of the Year in the Pioneer League in 1992 and Minor League Manager of the Year by Baseball Weekly in 1994.
The Mallards open the 2019 campaign on May 28 against newcomers to the Northwoods League, the Kokomo Jackrabbits. Single game tickets will go on sale April 27. For all ticket information and pricing, click here. Group and season ticket packages are also on sale now. If interested in bringing a group out or purchasing a ticket package please call the ticket office at 608-246-4277 and a group representative will be available to help.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from February 27, 2019
- Loggers Strengthen Pitching Staff with Four RHP - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Add Five Players from the West Coast - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Donnie Scott Set to Return for Seventh Season with Mallards - Madison Mallards
- Pit Spitters Name General Manager - Traverse City Pit Spitters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards to Host We Didn't Start the Fire Sale at the Duck Pond
- Northwoods League Announces 2020 Schedule: Mallards Launching 20 Summers of Wiener Campaign Commemorating 20th Season in Madison
- Mallards Alum Peter Alonso Awarded MLB National League Rookie of the Year
- Two Mallards Awarded 2019 Rawlings 'Big Stick' Honors
- Mallards Rally Falls Shy in Traverse City