DODDS LIFTS FUEL 5-3 OVER WINGS WITH STELLAR PLAY
Greg Dodds combines for a season-high 53 saves for his first Fuel start
KALAMAZOO - The Indy Fuel (18-19-2-1) and Kalamazoo Wings (22-15-2-2) met tonight to face off for the fifth out of 10 times for the 2017-18 ECHL season at the Wings Event Center. The game took a quick start as Kalamazoo took off on a power play, resulting in forward Josh Pitt tallying a goal only a couple minutes into play.
Not to be unanswered, Indy quickly responded as Cam Reid tucked away a pass from Robin Press over the glove of Wings goaltender, Michael Garteig. The first period of play would conclude with a deadlock score of 1-1 between two clubs trying to kick off win streaks.
The second period turned tables as Fuel players Stephen Collins and Robin Press notched goals of their own, which were shortly be followed by a shorthanded tally, courtesy of Brandon Anselmini. However, the Wings combined between the first and second period to fire 41 shots, all of which the exception of one, were stopped by Fuel goaltender and first-time starter, Greg Dodds. The products of the second period lifted Indy to a 4-1 lead.
Short after into the third round of play, a Kalamazoo shot was fired, knocking Dodds' stick out of his hand. J.T. Stenglein capitalized on the scoring opportunity for the wings, narrowing the score to 4-2. A pressuring Wings offense shortly broke through again when defensemen Mackenze Stewart took a one-time shot off the faceoff that landed in the back of the Indy net, minimizing the score yet again to 4-3.
With about one minute left in regulation play, Garteig skaed off the ice to give the Wings an extra man advantage. After repetitive scuffles in defensive zone for the Fuel, Johnny McInnis slotted the puck down the ice into the empty net, resulting in a final score of 5-3.
On the defensive end, the Fuel's shorthanded unit killed off five of six Kalamazoo power plays while Greg Dodds nabbed his first ECHL win and Fuel start with 53 saves out of 56 shots.
Single-Game tickets are now available for the entire 2017-18 Fuel season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Fans can also take advantage of a wide variety of
Ticket Plans by calling 317-925-FUEL or visiting IndyFuelHockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 28, 2018
- Eagles Score Five Straight to Defeat Steelheads 6-4 - Colorado Eagles
- Oilers Take Season Series against Utah with 3-2 Win Saturday - Tulsa Oilers
- Comanche's Career Night Not Enough against Fort Wayne - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Doomed by Late Penalty Call - Rapid City Rush
- Monarchs Hammer Nailers, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- DODDS LIFTS FUEL 5-3 OVER WINGS WITH STELLAR PLAY - Indy Fuel
- WINGS PEPPER FUEL WITH 56 SHOTS IN LOSS - Kalamazoo Wings
- Walleye Edge Beast in OT for Second Straight Game - Brampton Beast
- Glads Blank Ads 4-0, Snap Win Streak - Norfolk Admirals
- Mallards Fall in Worcester - Quad City Mallards
- Garrett Meurs Returns to Nailers from Manitoba - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.