Destroyers' Barre named AFL Defensive Player of the Week
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Arena Football League today announced that Columbus Destroyers wide receiver/defensive back B.J. Barre has been named the Week 14 ADT Defensive Player of the Week. Barre is the third Destroyers player to win an AFL weekly award this season.
Barre (6-2, 210, Ohio State) was one of the biggest keys to the Destroyers come from behind victory over the Austin Wranglers this past weekend. The Destroyers trailed 26-16 at halftime and the Wranglers were set to receive the second half kickoff. Austin wide receiver/defensive back Sedrick Robinson appeared to return the kickoff back for a touchdown when Barre caught him from behind and poked the ball away at the 1-yard line. The Destroyers recovered the ball and went down to score.
Barre then sealed the win on the game's final play. With Austin trailing 40-33 in the games final minute, the Wranglers marched down to the Destroyers' 1-yard line. After three failed attempts, the Wranglers faced fourth down with six seconds remaining. Quarterback John Fitzgerald lobbed a pass to the end zone, only to have Barre intercept the pass as time expired. He added 6.5 tackles (6UT-1AT) on the night.
In his rookie season in the Arena Football League, Barre has recorded 49.5 tackles (43UT-13AT), three interceptions, four pass breakups, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and a tackle for a loss while playing in 12 games this season.
The Destroyers (7-7) return home this Saturday to take on the Tampa Bay Storm (7-7). Kickoff on Huntington Field at Nationwide Arena is set for 7 p.m. It will be Rooster's Wing Bash & Dispatch/Mix 97.1 Family Night. Rooster's presents a pre-game party featuring live entertainment, Rooster's wings and Bud Light on the McConnell Street Plaza for the final regular-season game.
Single game tickets starting as low as $10 are available by calling (614) 246-HITS or by visiting www.ColumbusDestroyers.com. In addition, high school and college students (23 years and under) with a valid student ID may purchase a specially priced $7 ticket beginning two hours before the game at the Nationwide Arena Ticket Office only.
Individual tickets may also be purchased at the Nationwide Arena Ticket Office, at all Ticketmaster Ticket Centers, or by phone at (614) 431-3600. Tickets are also available at the Blue Jackets Zones located at Chiller Dublin, Chiller Easton and Chiller North. All tickets are subject to service charges and facility fees.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from May 2, 2006
- San Jose SaberCats game notes - San Jose SaberCats
- Utah Blaze game notes - Utah Blaze
- Las Vegas Gladiators game notes - Las Vegas Gladiators
- Philadelphia Soul game notes - Philadelphia Soul
- Austin Wranglers game notes - Austin Wranglers
- Tampa Bay Storm game notes - Tampa Bay Storm
- Columbus Destroyers game notes - Columbus Destroyers
- AFL Schutt Sports Top 12 Poll - AFL I
- Georgia Force game notes - Georgia Force
- Orlando Predators game notes - Orlando Predators
- Week 15 AFL playoff scenarios - AFL I
- Colorado Crush game notes - Colorado Crush
- The AFL: real football for real fans - OSC Original by Bruce Baskin
- Crush's Damian Harrell named Co-Offensive Player of the Week - Colorado Crush
- Kansas City Brigade game notes - Kansas City Brigade
- Destroyers' Barre named AFL Defensive Player of the Week - Columbus Destroyers
- Beckett.com AFL Collectible Player of the Week - AFL I
- Utah's Kelly earns AFL weekly honor - Utah Blaze
- AFL names players of the week - AFL I
- Destroyers' Cecil Doggette to retire at end of 2006 season - Columbus Destroyers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Destroyers Stories
- Renacci makes statement on AFL suspension
- Columbus Destroyers Announce Football Fan Pack In Time For Holidays
- Columbus Destroyers Receive First Pick In Dispersal Draft
- Columbus Destroyers Announce Assistant Coaches
- Destroyers acquire all-AFL linebacker Steve Watson