AFL names players of the week
May 2, 2006 - Arena Football League (1987-2008) (AFL I) News Release
NEW YORK - New York Dragons WR/LB MIKE HORACEK, Colorado Crush OS DAMIAN HARRELL and Utah Blaze QB ANDY KELLY, and Columbus Destroyers WR/DB B.J. BARRE have been named Ironman, Co-Offensive and ADT Defensive Player of the Week, respectively, for Week 14 of the 2006 season.
IRONMAN: Horacek (6-2, 200, Iowa State), who is in his seventh AFL season, recorded four receptions for 72 yards and two touchdowns, a two-point conversion reception, 4.0 total tackles, one fumble recovery and one pass breakup in New York's 65-58 Eastern Division win over Philadelphia on Saturday.
CO-OFFENSIVE: Harrell (6-3, 200, Florida State), who is in his eighth AFL season, established a new career-high with 15 receptions for 172 yards and a career-high tying five touchdowns in Colorado's 75-54 win over Orlando on Sunday. His five scores gives him 51 total touchdowns on the season, tying the AFL single-season record. Harrell also broke the league mark for receiving touchdowns in a single-season (46) with his first score of the day. He also became just the sixth player in AFL history to surpass the 10,000 receiving yard mark with a total of 10,137. This is Harrell's second Offensive Player of the Week award in the last three weeks.
CO-OFFENSIVE: Kelly (6-3, 220, Tennessee), who is in his 12th AFL season, completed 25-of-33 passes for 312 yards with nine touchdowns and no interceptions in Utah's 63-52 win at Las Vegas on Saturday night. He also passed New York's AARON GARCIA (757) to become the League's all-time leader in touchdown passes with a career total of 762.
ADT DEFENSIVE: Barre (6-2, 210, Ohio State), who is a rookie, recorded 5.5 total tackles, one forced fumble and one interception in Columbus' 40-33 win at Austin on Saturday night. His forced fumble of Austin WR/DB SEDRICK ROBINSON was recovered for a touchback and his interception occurred in the Destroyers' end zone on the final play of the game to seal the victory for Columbus.
Ironman of the Week candidates included: Colorado's Ahmad Hawkins, Dallas' Will Pettis, Georgia's Derek Lee, Grand Rapids' Josh Bush and Timon Marshall and Tampa Bay's Jerrod Penright.
Offensive Player of the Week candidates included: Colorado's John Dutton, Dallas' Clint Dolezel, Georgia's Matt Nagy, Grand Rapids' Chad Salisbury and Tampa Bay's Shane Stafford and Freddie Solomon.
ADT Defensive Player of the Week candidates included: Colorado's Rashad Floyd, Dallas' Jermaine Jones, Georgia's Bobby Setzer, Grand Rapids' Johnnie Harris, San Jose's Clevan Thomas and Tampa Bay's Lynarise Elpheage.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from May 2, 2006
- San Jose SaberCats game notes - San Jose SaberCats
- Utah Blaze game notes - Utah Blaze
- Las Vegas Gladiators game notes - Las Vegas Gladiators
- Philadelphia Soul game notes - Philadelphia Soul
- Austin Wranglers game notes - Austin Wranglers
- Tampa Bay Storm game notes - Tampa Bay Storm
- Columbus Destroyers game notes - Columbus Destroyers
- AFL Schutt Sports Top 12 Poll - AFL I
- Georgia Force game notes - Georgia Force
- Orlando Predators game notes - Orlando Predators
- Week 15 AFL playoff scenarios - AFL I
- Colorado Crush game notes - Colorado Crush
- The AFL: real football for real fans - OSC Original by Bruce Baskin
- Crush's Damian Harrell named Co-Offensive Player of the Week - Colorado Crush
- Kansas City Brigade game notes - Kansas City Brigade
- Destroyers' Barre named AFL Defensive Player of the Week - Columbus Destroyers
- Beckett.com AFL Collectible Player of the Week - AFL I
- Utah's Kelly earns AFL weekly honor - Utah Blaze
- AFL names players of the week - AFL I
- Destroyers' Cecil Doggette to retire at end of 2006 season - Columbus Destroyers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.