Delfino's Slam Keys Augusta Win
(WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK, Lexington, Ky.) Mitch Delfino's grand slam in the fifth inning broke the game open, and the Augusta GreenJackets went on to beat the Lexington Legends 12-1 Friday night at Whitaker Bank Ballpark.
The GreenJackets scored single runs in the second and third innings and carried a 2-0 lead into the fifth. Jesus Galindo, who had four hits in the game, led off with an infield single. Galindo stole second, Matt Duffy walked, and Shayne Houck's infield single loaded the bases. Delfino followed with his first home run of the year and Augusta led 6-0.
The GreenJackets added three more runs in the sixth inning. Eric Sim walked, but was forced at second on a grounder hit by Andrew Cain. Cain advanced to second on a single by Galindo and scored on a base hit by Duffy. Houck doubled, scoring Galindo, and Duffy came home on a ground out by Delfino, his sixth run batted in of the game.
In the Augusta seventh, Chuckie Jones drew a leadoff walk from Legends reliever Mark Peterson. Trevor Brown, who also had four hits in the game, singled, moving Jones to second. Sim lined out to left field and Cain grounded into a force play at second, but Galindo singled, scoring Jones and moving Cain to second. Duffy's base hit scored Cain, and Houck's single brought home Galindo, giving Augusta a 12-0 lead.
The Legends scored their only run in the bottom of the ninth on three walks and Michael Antonio's sacrifice fly.
Augusta starter Kendry Flores (2-0) pitched six shutout innings and picked up the win. Legends starter Colin Rodgers (1-1), who was relieved after the homer by Delfino in the fifth, took the loss.
Game two of the four-game series will be played Saturday night at Whitaker Bank Ballpark. First pitch is
set for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 26, 2013
- Drive Fall to Shorebirds, 10-3 - Greenville Drive
- Delfino's Slam Keys Augusta Win - Lexington Legends
- Shorebirds Cruise Past Drive, 10-3 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Not Intimidated in 5-1 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Top 'Claws 14-10 in Record-Setting Slugfest - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Gallo Lifts 'Dads to 3-2 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Early Runs Favor Savannah in Power Setback - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Nets Comeback Win over Suns - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes: Kannapolis Intimidators at Charleston RiverDogs (April 26, 2013) - Kannapolis Intimidators
- WV Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Game Notes: at Greenville - Delmarva Shorebirds
- McCann to Rehab with Rome Braves in Greensboro - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- McCann to Rehab with Rome Braves - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Game Two Postponed Due to Inclement Weather
- Dancing with the Students Returns to Crawford Middle School
- Lexington Legends and Asheville Tourists Postponed Due to Inclement Weather
- Home Runs Carry Lexington over Hagerstown in 9-2 Victory
- Hagerstown Homers over Lexington in Game Three