Dakota's Chris Johnson Signs with Portland
March 14, 2011 - NBA G League (G League) News Release
NEW YORK, Mar. 14, 2011 â" The Portland Trail Blazers signed center Chris Johnson of the Dakota Wizards for the remainder of the season for the 15th GATORADE Call-Up of the 2010-11 NBA Development League season. Johnson's call-up â" his third this year â" increases the number of current NBA players with NBA D-League experience, including players currently on assignment to their NBA D-League affiliates, to 87.
The only NBA D-League player to earn three GATORADE Call-Ups to the NBA this season, Johnson was first called up by Portland on Jan. 24. He appeared in two games with the Trail Blazers, averaging 2.0 points and 2.0 rebounds in 8.0 minutes. Johnson was then called up by the Boston Celtics on Feb. 24. He played in six games with Boston, averaging 1.7 points and 1.5 rebounds in 8.2 minutes.
In 35 games (34 starts) with Dakota this season, Johnson averaged 16.2 points, 9.2 rebounds and 2.8 blocks, which ranks second in the league. Johnson, an NBA D-League All-Star, is the only player this season to record eight blocks on three separate occasions, and he's scored in double figures in all but six of his NBA D-League games.
Johnson (6-11, 210) is a second-year pro out of LSU, where he averaged 7.2 points, 5.2 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in 88 games over a four-year career. As a senior in 2008-09, Johnson's 2.7 blocks per game ranked second in the SEC and eighth in the nation, earning him All-SEC Honorable Mention honors.
Johnson is expected to join the Trail Blazers today and should be available when the team hosts the Dallas Mavericks tomorrow at 10 p.m. ET .
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 14, 2011
- Flash Get Back to Winning Ways with Victory Over 66ers - Utah Flash
- Tulsa Falls Short at Utah, 110-103 - Tulsa 66ers
- Vipers Can't Overcome Free Throw Differential in Loss to Skyforce - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Howard Returns to the Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Erie's Mitchell, Sioux Falls' Ewing Jr. Named NBA D-League Co-Performers of the Week - G League
- Chris Johnson Signs with Portland - Dakota Wizards
- Dakota's Chris Johnson Signs with Portland - G League
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.