Cutthroats Stumble in Missouri to a 6-4 Loss
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - Andrew Courtney tallied the hat trick to carry the Missouri Mavericks past the Denver Cutthroats on Wednesday night in a 6-4 final in front of 5,369 at the Independence Events Center.
Courtney's hat trick was part of a four-point night to lead all skaters. Denver picked up a pair of goals from Luke Fulghum, plus Joel Chouinard and Phil Tesoriero each scored.
Brad Smyth extended his point streak to 11 games for the Fish with a pair of assists. The loss drops the Cutthroats to sixth place in the Central Hockey League standings - two points back of Missouri as the two teams prepare to face off again on Friday at 6:05 PM MST.
The Mavericks drew first blood as Kenton Miller scored from the slot at 3:45 of the first period and Courtney then added his first at 7:03. Tesoriero put Denver on the board with a wrist shot from the right-wing boards midway through the frame for his fourth of the season.
Courtney struck again 30 seconds into the second to make it a 3-1 game when a rebound deflected off his body and past Denver's Kent Patterson. Chouinard pulled the Cutthroats back within one late in the period off a wrist shot from the point with 5:17 remaining.
The Mavericks pulled away in the third as Miller added his second of the game on the power play in the opening minutes. Courtney then scored his hat trick goal at 13:39 and Evan Vossen added a shorthanded, empty-net goal with 1:22 left in the game.
Fulghum's two goals came from the front of the net in the final minute of the contest.
Mike Clemente earned the win for Missouri stopping 36-of-40 shots. Patterson made 28 saves in his first regulation loss since returning from the American Hockey League's Lake Erie Monsters.
Denver's magic number to clinch a playoff spots stays at seven points with the loss.
The Cutthroats and Mavericks close out their regular season series on Friday at 6:05 PM MST at the Independence Events Center.
1. Andrew Courtney (MIZ)
2. Sebastien Thinel (MIZ)
3. Kenton Miller (MIZ)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 13, 2013
- Cutthroats Stumble in Missouri to a 6-4 Loss - Denver Cutthroats
- Courtney's Hat Trick Lifts Mavericks to 6-4 Win over Denver - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards, Genesis Team for St. Patrick's Jersey Auction Friday - Quad City Mallards
- CHL Year-End Awards Release Schedule Announced - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster