Cutthroats' Season Ends in 6-2 Loss in Game Five
ALLEN, Tex. - A 28-save performance by Aaron Dell was the difference on Saturday night as the Denver Cutthroats season came to a close in a 6-2 loss to the Allen Americans at the Allen Event Center.
The Americans win the opening round, best-of-seven series in five games over the Cutthroats, eliminating them from playoff competition.
Dell had more than enough to work with after Allen built a 5-0 lead midway through the second period before Denver found the board with their only two goals in the contest.
Brad Smyth scored a power play goal from the front of the net at 13:34 of the middle frame and Luke Fulghum redirected AJ Gale's centering feed with 1:31 remaining to make it a 5-2 deficit.
Brian McMillin and Jarret Lukin opened up the scoring for Allen in the first with goals at 10:14 and 15:17.
Denver's Kieran Millan was pulled after Jim McKenzie made it a 3-0 game at 3:43 of the second and Kent Patterson entered to finish the game stopping 15-of-17 shots.
Jamie Schaafsma added another for the Americans at 4:40. Tyler Ludwig blasted a power play goal through traffic midway through from the right point before the Cutthroats added their goals.
McMillin added an empty-net goal for Allen in the final minute of the third.
Denver finished 1-for-7 on the power play. Allen went 1-for-6.
The loss ends an inaugural season of Denver Cutthroats hockey that saw the team return pro hockey to the Denver Coliseum for the first time in more than 20 years and send nine players to the American Hockey League, which is more than any other team in the Central Hockey League.
The Cutthroats will begin their second season of play at the Denver Coliseum in October 2013.
1. Jim McKenzie (ALN)
2. Aaron Dell (ALN)
3. Brian McMillin (ALN)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 6, 2013
- Cutthroats' Season Ends in 6-2 Loss in Game Five - Denver Cutthroats
- Mavericks Score Four in the Third to Take 3-2 Series Lead - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brahmas Close out Mallards, Advance to Semi-Finals - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mallards' Season Ends with 1-0 Loss to Brahmas - Quad City Mallards
- Playoffs Resume Tonight vs Denver - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster