Cougars make roster moves, place Santos and Pinto on waivers
Stockton, CA - Feb. 13, 2008 - The California Cougars, of the Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL), announce today the placement of midfielders Marcelo Santos and Luis Pinto on the team's waiver list.
"It's always tough to let a player go let alone these two guys," said Cougars head coach Bernie Lilavois. "Marcelo Santos is a class act and did everything we asked of him, unfortunately it doesn't work out sometimes and this was one of those situations. Luis Pinto is a young player who I still feel will be a very good indoor player down the road."
Santos had four points, including two goals, for the Cougars in five games played. He was acquired by the Cougars on January 18, 2008 after a trade with the Orlando Sharks. The Cougars sent their rights to goalkeeper Dominic Jakubek and forward Elvir Kafedzic to Orlando in exchange for Santos.
Pinto played primarily for the Cougars development team, the Stockton Pumas, but did see action in eight games for California. Pinto finished his rookie season as a member of the Cougars with three goals and two assists for eight points. His most recent goal came against the Milwaukee Wave during the Cougars recent road trip.
"Anytime a team loses seven straight it's a cause for concern," responded coach Lilavois when asked if more moves are in the future for the his team. "We won't necessarily make a lot more moves but there are still some roster moves in the weeks ahead. We are building our final roster for the stretch run here in the last two months."
The Cougars host the second place Chicago Storm (13-7) this Friday night at 8:00 p.m. The match is scheduled to be televised live on Fox Soccer Channel as part of a doubleheader featuring the Storm. Chicago's February 2nd match with New Jersey will air tape delayed at 5:00 p.m. (pst) before the live game at 8:00 p.m. (pst). Friday is also Antonio Sutton bobblehead night, the first 1,000 fans 14 years and under will receive a free limited edition figurine of the Cougars' assistant coach.
• Discuss this story on the Major Indoor Soccer League 2 message board...
Major Indoor Soccer League 2 Stories from February 13, 2008
- California Cougars Weekly Report - California Cougars
- Cougars make roster moves, place Santos and Pinto on waivers - California Cougars
- Cougars host Storm on Fox Soccer Channel, February 15th - California Cougars
- Wave Weekly - Milwaukee Wave
- Ignition Weekly - Detroit Ignition
- Morning fix vs. KiXX: Storm put damper on Philly's School Day Game - Chicago Storm
- Behind The Maroon & Mandarin: Frederico Moojen - New Jersey Ironmen
- KiXX three-game winning streak snapped by Storm, 18-9 - Philadelphia KiXX
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.