Cortes Once Again Named League's Pitcher Of The Week
Wilmington, DE - For the second week in a row, Wilmington Blue Rocks starter Dan Cortes has been selected as the Carolina League's Pitcher of the Week. The 20-year-old right-hander was a perfect 2-0 in two starts during the week of August 27-September 2, allowing an unearned run on seven hits over 12.0 innings. The Pomona, CA native totaled an impressive 14 strikeouts while walking just three. He followed up a seven-inning, two-hit shutout effort against Salem on August 26 with five innings of one-run ball versus Potomac on September 2.
Cortes becomes just the third pitcher in the league this season to win multiple Pitcher of the Week awards, joining teammate and Pitcher of the Year Rowdy Hardy (two) and Winston-Salem's Kyle McCulloch (three). He is also the first player regardless of position to collect back-to-back weekly awards this season. Cortes was also named Pitcher of the Week for August 20-26 after tying season-highs with seven innings and eight strikeouts in a victory over Myrtle Beach on August 23.
Cortes, the youngest pitcher on the Wilmington staff, finished the season tied for the second-longest winning streak in the league, snaring six consecutive victories and going undefeated in his final eight starts. A former 2005 seventh round draft choice of the Chicago White Sox, Cortes allowed just four earned runs over his final 47.0 innings, fanning 48 and issuing only 12 bases on balls. He fashioned a 4-0 record with a circuit-best 0.75 ERA during August.
For the season, Cortes was 8-8 with a 3.07 ERA. He finished the regular season fourth in the league in ERA, and fifth with 120 strikeouts, a total that placed him second only to 2006 No. 1 overall draft choice Luke Hochevar in the Kansas City Royals minor league system.
Kansas City acquired Cortes along with left-hander Tyler Lumsden from the White Sox in exchange for right-handed reliever Mike MacDougal on July 24, 2006.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 4, 2007
- Kinston Playoff Preview - Kinston Indians
- Pelicans Attendance Soars In 2008, Third Largest In Franchise History - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Cortes Once Again Named League's Pitcher Of The Week - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Maxwell Named Player of the Month - Potomac Nationals
- Warthogs Josh Fallin Named Carolina League Trainer of the Year - Winston-Salem Dash
- Indians take second half title, get home field advantage in Southern Division Series - Kinston Indians
- Avalanche surpasses all-time attendance record - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilmington Blue Rocks Stories
- Blue Rocks Win Carolina League's Matt Minker Award for Community Service
- Royals, Blue Rocks Agree on Two-Year PDC Extension
- Blue Rocks Rally Falls Short in Season Finale
- Blue Rocks Split Another Doubleheader with P-Nats
- Blue Rocks Split Doubleheader with P-Nats