Corpus Christi hands Drillers first road loss
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX -- The Beaumont Drillers were handed their first road loss of the season in front of 7,101 fans at the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi on May 1 by the score of 66-46.
With the loss, the Drillers are now 4-3 overall, tied with Corpus (4-3) who are both now just one game back behind Pacific East Division leader Southwest Louisiana (5-2).
The Drillers will host Southwest Louisiana (formerly known as the Lake Charles LandSharks) on Monday, May 9 at 7:05 p.m. inside Ford Arena for a first place showdown.
Beaumont held three leads in the first half but surrendered their last with 0:19 remaining in the 2nd quarter on a Corpus rushing touchdown. The Driller defense, which has been strong in the third quarter, allowed 20 points and made the difference in the game as the Hammerheads went up 52-32 going into the final frame.
The Drillers lost the NIFL's leading tackler Randy Chappell in the first quarter due to an elbow injury. Chappell's status will be determined on Tuesday. The defense allowed 310 total yards and 24 first downs.
Quarterback Marc Saldana returned to the field after missing a month of action and threw for 218 yards on 18-of-34 attempts with four touchdowns and two interceptions. Pat Palmer caught six passes for 67 yards and two scores. Runningback Roland Hayes scored his 20 and 21 rushing touchdowns of the year.
• Discuss this story on the National Indoor Football League message board...
National Indoor Football League Stories from May 2, 2005
- Coach King likes Dayton's character - Dayton Bulldogs
- Cavs' high altitude not friendly to Kreatures - Kissimmee Kreatures
- Corpus Christi hands Drillers first road loss - Beaumont Drillers
- Another Chance for Gunslinger Dancer Tryouts - Lubbock GunSlingers
- Capitols become road kill for Rage in win at Lincoln - RiverCity Rage
- Renegades Back Home in Rome - Rome Renegades
- Another Lincoln Steams Into Town - Everett Hawks
- Marshals Overcome Adversity to Down New Jersey 65-13 - The Marshals
- Hammerheads Win - Corpus Christi Hammerheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.