Conquest Weekly (Week Two)
0-1 (0-0 Home, 0-1 Road) - Streak: Lost 1 - Fourth Place, East Division, American Conference
Week 2 Recap:
The Conquest had a bye week in Week 2, giving the team a chance to rest up after their Week 1 loss at Mahoning Valley. Albany's players spent the off week in the weight room and studying film, before hitting the practice field again this past Monday.
Week 3 Preview:
The Conquest will begin their 2008 home schedule on Sunday, April 13th when they host the expansion Peoria Pirates for a 4:00 pm kickoff at the Times Union Center. Albany is looking to get first year head coach Jeff Hoffman his first win as an af2 Head Coach and to grab their first win in their home opener since the 2003 season, where they beat the Richmond Speed 45-13 on April 11th, 2003.
Week 3 Schedule:
(All games are broadcast LIVE on 88.3 FM The SAINT and on the Internet at www.albanyconquest.com)
Sunday, April 13 - 4:00 pm - Times Union Center
vs. Peoria Pirates (1-0) - Streak: Won 1
Tied-Second Place, Midwest Division, American Conference
The Pirates first joined af2 in 2001 and operated for four years (2001-2004), even winning the 2002 ArenaCup. They went dormant for three seasons (2005-2007) and are now back for their fifth season of operations. Peoria had a bye in Week 1 and kicked off their 2008 schedule with a 46-28 road win over the Lexington Horsemen on April 5th.
Leading Passer: Justin Rascati (#11) - 12-for-24, 101 yards, 3 TDs, 92.53 QB Rating.
Leading Rusher: Phillip Brock (#24) - 9 carries for 42 yards, 2 TDs, 4.7 yards per carry.
Leading Receiver: Jesse Wendt (#8) - 4 catches for 47 yards, 2 TDs, 11.8 yards per catch.
Leading Tackler: Blake Farris (#21) - 7 tackles (6 solo, 2 assists), 1 tackle for loss, 2 INTs.
Conquest Player of the Week: (Week 1)
Jared Jones - WR - #6 179 total yards - 3 TDs
Jared Jones began the season in fine form, proving to be a formidable threat to Mahoning Valley's defense. Jones caught a game-high 11 passes for 139 yards and two touchdowns, including a career-long 30-yard touchdown strike from Dan Cole in the final minute of the first half. Jones also scored the Conquest's only touchdown of the second half, recovering a Dan Cole fumble and running it into the end zone from four yards out. Jones led both teams with 179 all-purpose yards and ranks 2nd in af2 in receptions after Week 1.
- TOP TEN - QB Dan Cole has the fourth highest passing yards per game average (276.0) in the entire af2 and he ranks 5th in the league in all-purpose yards per game (282.0).
- MORE TOP TEN - WR Jared Jones is tied for second in af2 in receptions per game (11.0), ranks fourth in the league in receiving yards per game (139.0) and is eighth in all-purpose yards per game (179.0).
- HOME SWEET HOME - In 2007 the Conquest went 5-3 at the Times Union Center, recording their first winning-record at home since the 2003 season where they went a perfect 8-0 at home. Albany is looking to continue their strong form at home in 2008, trying to put together their first back-to-back seasons with winning records at home since 2002 & 2003.
- WINNING ON THE ROAD - In spite of losing their season opener at Mahoning Valley on March 29th, the Conquest know they need a good road record if they want to make the 2008 af2 playoffs. In each of Albany's last two playoff appearances (2002 & 2003) the Conquest had above 0.500 records away from home (7-1 and 5-3 respectively).
Albany Conquest Team Leaders:
-Attempts: Dan Cole (47)
-Completions: Dan Cole (22)
-Percentage: Dan Cole (46.8%)
-Yards: Dan Cole (276)
-Touchdowns: Dan Cole (4)
-Long: Dan Cole (38)
-Receptions: Jared Jones (11)
-Yards: Jared Jones (139)
-Touchdowns: Jared Jones (2)
-Yards/Catch: Vernard Abrams (14.0)
-Yards/Game: Jared Jones (139.0)
-Long: Vernard Abrams (38)
-Attempts: Dan Cole (4)
-Yards: Dan Cole (6)
-Touchdowns: None (0)
-Yards/Carry: Jared Jones (3.0)
-Yards/Game: Dan Cole (6.0)
-Long: Dan Cole (4)
-Attempts: Jared Jones (3)
-Yards: Jared Jones (31)
-Touchdowns: None (0)
-Yards/Return: Jared Jones (10.3)
-Yards/Game: Jared Jones (31.0)
-Long: Jared Jones (12)
-Attempts: None (0)
-Kicks Made: None (0)
-Percentage: None (0)
-Long: None (0)
-Attempts: Jason Fralicker (7)
-Yards: Jason Fralicker (327)
-Yards/Kick: Jason Fralicker (46.7)
-Touchbacks: Jason Fralicker (1)
-Tackles: Brandon Taylor (6.0)
-Solo Tackles: Brenton Brady & Brandon Taylor (5)
-Sacks: Brenton Brady & Brandon Taylor (1)
-Tackles For Loss: Brenton Brady & Brandon Taylor (1)
-Interceptions: None (0)
-Pass Breakups: Aharon Kiett (2)
-Forced Fumbles: None (0)
-Blocked Kicks: None (0)
The Conquest return to action for their home opener on Sunday, April 13th at 4:00 pm against the expansion Peoria Pirates at the Times Union Center.
Full and partial season ticket packages are now on sale for the 2008 Albany Conquest regular season. For more information please contact the Conquest at (518) 487-2244 or online at www.albanyconquest.com.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 10, 2008
- Dorados 50- Yard Indoor War Report debuts Friday - Rio Grande Valley Dorados
- Week 3: Friday Night Matchups - af2
- Burn Make Moves On Offensive Line - Boise Burn
- Conquest Weekly (Week Two) - Albany Firebirds
- Fire Assigned Former Cardinal Standout - Louisville Fire
- BattleWings' Jr. Fly Girl Cheerleading Camp This Saturday - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Manchester Wolves Look To Go 2-0 Vs. Green Bay Blizzard - Manchester Wolves
- Fire Take On Quad City For First Place - Louisville Fire
- af2 Week 3: Quick Hitters - af2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.