Command Adds Three More to Roster
KANSAS CITY - The Kansas City Command added three more players to its 2012 roster yesterday. On a day that brought the signing of quarterback Nate Davis, the Command also acquired linebacker James Lancaster, linebacker Tyler Knight, and offensive lineman Austin Emerson.
Lancaster led the Indoor Football League in sacks last year with 14.5 as a member of the Allen Wranglers, earning him First-Team IFL honors. Command head coach Danton Barto coached Lancaster before as head coach of the IFL's Arkansas Diamonds and knows just what he can bring to a defense.
"The guy is all about football," Barto said. "He plays hard every play, and he plays the game the way it's supposed to be played. He's just a guy you can win games with."
Knight won an IFL championship last season as a member of the Sioux Falls Storm. The explosive linebacker with 4.4 speed had a solid season with the team. Knight is a product of Mississippi Valley State, where he was Southwest Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year, and also played for Barto as a member of the Diamonds.
Emerson is fresh out of Central Arkansas University, where he earned First-Team All-Southland Conference honors. The three-year letter winner had a 3.73 GPA and also earned academic all-conference honors. A native of Sperry, OK, the hard-nosed, gritty lineman was recommended to the Command by an NFL personnel scout.
The Arena Football League free agency period began at midnight Monday morning. Kansas City currently has eight players under contract.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from September 27, 2011
- Pro Football Has Finally Arrived In San Antonio - San Antonio Talons
- GM/Head Coach Kevin Guy Signs Contract for 2012 - Arizona Rattlers
- OL Robbie Powell Returns; SaberCats Sign Two Defensive Backs - San Jose SaberCats
- Philadelphia Lands Top AFL QB Dan Raudabaugh - Philadelphia Soul
- Bell Returns; Spokane Adds Four More - Spokane Shock
- Command Adds Three More to Roster - Kansas City Command
- Power Re-Sign QB Bill Stull and DB Tyrell Herbert - Pittsburgh Power
- Power Readying for Open Tryouts - Pittsburgh Power
- VooDoo Open Tryout Set for this Saturday - New Orleans VooDoo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.