Colorado Rapids to Launch 'Rapids 2' Team in MLS NEXT Pro
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Colorado Rapids announced today the launch of Rapids 2, which will compete as one of the inaugural teams in MLS NEXT Pro, a new, lower division professional league set to begin play spring of 2022. The club has appointed Brian Crookham as the team's general manager.
"We're excited to take part in MLS NEXT Pro as one of the league's inaugural teams," said Pádraig Smith, Colorado Rapids Executive VP & General Manager. "Rapids 2 will serve as a fundamental piece of our player development pathway by not only providing a competitive, professional environment for young talent to develop, but also giving us the ability to extend this opportunity to a broader range of players in our youth system during a critical phase in their development."
Rapids 2 will provide a professional platform to bridge the gap between the Rapids Academy and First Team. The new team will be composed of Rapids Academy players on amateur contracts, players signed directly to Rapids 2and players on loan from the Rapids First Team. As part of the club's participation in MLS NEXT Pro, the Rapids have concluded their formal partnership with USL Championship side Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC.
"We're grateful to the entire Switchbacks FC organization for being a wonderful partner over the past three seasons and for the key role it has played in the development of many of our young players," said Smith. "We look forward to seeing the club continue the great work they're doing both on the pitch and in growing the sport in Colorado."
Additional details on Rapids 2, including full coaching staff, competition schedule and venue will be announced at a later date.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 6, 2021
- Colorado Rapids to Launch 'Rapids 2' Team in MLS NEXT Pro - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2022 Roster Decisions - Real Salt Lake
- In Quotes: Philadelphia Union 1-2 NYCFC - New York City FC
- NYCFC Announces Participation in MLS NEXT Pro's Inaugural Season - New York City FC
- Houston Dynamo 2 to Compete in New MLS NEXT Pro League Beginning in 2022 - Houston Dynamo FC
- MLS NEXT Pro Unveils 21 Clubs for Inaugural Season - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew Launches Developmental Second Team, Columbus Crew 2 - Columbus Crew SC
- FAQ: Rapids 2 and MLS NEXT Pro - Colorado Rapids
- Vancouver Will Join MLS NEXT Pro for Inaugural Season in 2022 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire FC to Participate in MLS NEXT Pro in 2022 - Chicago Fire FC
- San Jose Earthquakes to Compete in MLS NEXT Pro Inaugural Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- MNUFC2 Joins MLS Next Pro for Inaugural Season - Minnesota United FC
- Five Points: A Taste of Success - New York City FC
- MLS NEXT Pro Unveils 21 Clubs for Inaugural Season - MLS
- Chicago Fire FC Signs Defender Miguel Navarro to New Contract - Chicago Fire FC
- New York Red Bulls Sign Brazilian Goalkeeper Carlos Coronel - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Efrain Alvarez and Defender Julian Araujo Called up by Mexican National Team for International Friendly against Chile - LA Galaxy
- Official Match Ball by adidas for 2022 Season to Debut at 2021 MLS Cup in Portland - MLS
- CLTFC Player Update: December 2021 - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids Host Nashville SC in First-Ever Regular Season Meeting at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park
- Keys against Nashville SC: Capitalize on Set Pieces and Keep an Eye on Mukhtar
- Canadian International Mark-Anthony Kaye Called up to National Team for June Matches
- Robin Fraser Boosts Head Coaching Tenure with 50 Regular Season Wins
- SuperDraft Pick Anthony Markanich Showcases Versatility, Confidence in MLS Debut