Cloutier Dismissed as IceRays Head Coach
The Corpus Christi IceRays have released Sylvain Cloutier from his position as the team's head coach, IceRays General Manager Pat Dunn announced Tuesday afternoon. Cloutier was in his first season of coaching and had amassed a 21-25-4 record through 50 games this year. Dunn said a coaching replacement will be announced later this week, and the position will be filled prior to team's return to the ice on Friday night.
The IceRays are four games under .500 and a point outside of a playoff position at the time of this move. Corpus Christi's record includes a 5-15-2 record against division opponents. The IceRays are currently in last place in the Southeast Division.
"This is never something that's fun to do, but we felt that a change was needed," said Dunn. "This job isn't entirely about wins and losses, but we think the team isn't performing the way it's capable of and this change might be what they need. This season we made a promise to our fans that we would do everything in our power to make the IceRays a successful organization on and off the ice, and even though it's difficult, we believe this move was necessary. We appreciate Sylvain's efforts and wish him the best of luck in the future."
The coaching change comes with just five weeks and 14 games left in the regular season, and the IceRays right in the middle of a playoff chase. Corpus Christi enters this weekend one point behind the Arizona Sundogs for the fifth and final playoff spot in the Southern Conference, and eight points back of Rio Grande Valley for the number four position. The Rays are in the midst of a six-game home stand and will resume play with a pair of games this weekend at the American Bank Center.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 17, 2009
- Frustrating Loss Makes Three in a Row For Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Bucks Cullaton In CHL Chat Room - Laredo Bucks
- Scorpions dispatch of Gorillas in day game, 7-2 - Amarillo Gorillas
- Scorpions Offense Stomps Gorillas In Front Of Record Crowd - New Mexico Scorpions
- Cloutier Dismissed as IceRays Head Coach - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Davis Parley's Effort Against Eagles Earns Weekly Award - CHL
- Parley Gets Oilers second league honor in two days - Tulsa Oilers
- Playoff Ticket Packages on Sale Now - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale