Cleveland Gladiators Clinch 2008 Playoff Berth
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Gladiators are headed to the playoffs after a 47-35 victory over the Columbus Destroyers at Quicken Loans Arena in front of 14,397 on Saturday night. Cleveland can still host a home playoff game with a Philadelphia Soul victory over the New York Dragons on Sunday afternoon.
With the win, Cleveland closes out the 2008 regular season 9-7, one year removed from a 2-14 finish while in Las Vegas. Columbus closes the door on a 3-13 year, after claiming the 2007 National Conference Championship and an appearance in the ArenaBowl XXI.
Raymond Philyaw completed 20-of-27 passes on the night for 269 yards and six touchdowns. He was named Offensive Player of the Game for his performance. His favorite target early on was the newly-signed Randy Hymes, who was making his Arena Football debut.
Hymes hauled in four catches for 78 yards and three touchdowns, before leaving the game in the third quarter. Hymes was flipped over the wall while trying to make a one-handed catch and was slow to get up.
For Columbus, Matt Nagy completed 24-of-43 passes for 293 yards and three touchdowns. He was intercepted once. C.J. Johnson led all receivers with 11 catches for 173 yards and one touchdown.
With a Philadelphia Soul win over the New York, the Gladiators would claim the #4 seed, hosting the Orlando Predators on Monday, June 30 at Quicken Loans Arena.
A Philadelphia Soul loss to the New York Dragons would drop the Gladiators to the #5 seed and would travel to New York, with a date and time to be announced.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from June 21, 2008
- Dragons clinch playoff berth - AFL I
- Storm Finish Season on High Note, Defeat Avengers 72-47 - Tampa Bay Storm
- Crush win season finale at home - Colorado Crush
- Cleveland Gladiators Clinch 2008 Playoff Berth - Cleveland Gladiators
- Crush clinch playoff berth - AFL I
- The Battle of the Buckeye State goes Cleveland's way - Columbus Destroyers
- Predators clinch playoff berth - AFL I
- Rampage Clinch Playoff Berth - AFL I
- Gladiators Clinch Playoff Berth - AFL I
- Colorado defeats Kansas City 51-27 - Kansas City Brigade
- Rampage Playoff Bound Following 86-70 Win over New Orleans - Grand Rapids Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Gladiators Stories
- Cleveland Gladiators Announce Two Year Hiatus
- AVON QB RYAN MALOY NAMED HIGH SCHOOL IMPACT PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Gladiators Announce High School Impact Player
- EUCLID RB RONALD LEE NAMED HIGH SCHOOL IMPACT PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- CLEVELAND GLADIATORS: Gladiators Announce Week 7 High School Impact