Christian Laettner Named Mad Ants Assistant Coach
Fort Wayne, IN (January 20, 2012) - The Fort Wayne Mad Ants announced today that they have hired former college and NBA standout Christian Laettner as their assistant coach pending a background check. He will be working full time with Mad Ants head coach, Steve Gansey, who was recently promoted to the position.
Laettner, the former Duke All American famous for his last second shot in the East Regional Finals of the 1992 NCAA tournament that gave his team the win over Kentucky, is looking to kick start his professional coaching career in Fort Wayne.
"I am thrilled to be joining the Mad Ants organization! I am very excited and looking forward to working with the players, staff and organization as an assistant coach," said Laettner. "The opportunity to work closely with developing players to improve their game and make it to the next level has always been a goal of mine. Many thanks to Jeff Potter and the Mad Ants organization for giving me this opportunity -- go Mad Ants!"
Laettner holds the NCAA record for most NCAA tournament games played as his Duke Blue Devils made four consecutive final four appearances. He was also the only college player to be a member of the "Dream Team" that won a gold medal in the 1992 Olympics. After leaving Duke, Laettner had a successful NBA career spanning from 1992-2005, and he has been running the Christian Laettner Basketball Academy for the last two years.
"We are excited to add Christian to our basketball staff," said Mad Ants President Jeff Potter. "It is rare when you are able to add a person of Christian's experience and intelligence to a staff this late in the season, and I am eager to see him use his vast knowledge of the game to help with Coach Gansey's already impressive turnaround of this team."
Laettner has joined the team in Sioux Falls, and he will be on the bench this evening for their game against the Skyforce. To see Laettner and the Mad Ants in action, please visit the Mad Ants website at www.fortwaynehoops.com to watch the game online via the NBA Futurecast.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 20, 2012
- Texas Legends Defuse Canton Charge - Texas Legends
- Skyforce Holds off Mad Ants - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Toros Torch the Stampede - Idaho Stampede
- Lin Picks up Triple-Double as Erie Drops Maine 122-113 - Maine Red Claws
- Stampede Re-Acquire Devendorf, Galloway - Idaho Stampede
- Dennis Horner Returns to Springfield - Springfield Armor
- Fort Wayne's Walker Russell, Jr. Signs with Detroit - G League
- NBA D-League Update - G League
- Christian Laettner Named Mad Ants Assistant Coach - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Mad Ants Stories
- Mad Ants Use Second Half Rally to Beat Drive in OT
- Mad Ants Acquire Rights for Alex Hamilton and 2019 Draft Pick from Windy City
- Nets Avenge Last Night's Loss with Win at Fort Wayne
- Mad Ants Fall Short at Home against Canton
- Mad Ants Defense Rises up at Home against Windy City