Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 21, 2019
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. -The Chicago Fire will play two games in five days this week, as the team embarks on its first three-game road swing of the 2019 MLS campaign. On Wednesday, April 24, the Fire will face New York City FC at Yankee Stadium at 6:00 p.m. CT (ESPN+, Univision Radio WRTO AM 1200). Following Wednesday's match, the Men in Red will head north of the border to take on the Montreal Impact at Stade Saputo at 11:30 a.m. CT at Stade Saputo (ESPN+, Univision Radio 93.5 Latino Mix).
The Fire (2-2-3, 9 points) is coming off its largest win of the 2019 season, a 4-1 victory over the Colorado Rapids at SeatGeek Stadium on Saturday, April 20. Four different players scored in the win for the Men in Red, including forward including forward Nemanja Nikolic and midfielders Aleksandar Katai, Djordje Mihailovic and CJ Sapong (full highlights).
Midfielder Nicolás Gaitán, who made his first 90-minute appearance for the Fire, tallied his first pair of assists in MLS play, and the team also received assists from Katai, Sapong and captain Dax McCarty.
Wednesday's contest will mark the 10th league meeting between the Fire and NYCFC since 2015. In two matches played between both sides in the 2018 campaign, each team recorded a win in the head-to-head regular season series. Heading into the Wednesday's match, the first meeting between the two sides in 2019, NYCFC (1-1-5, 8 points) is unbeaten in its last three matches, posting one win and two draws.
Following a midweek matchup against NYCFC, the Men in Red will travel to face the Montreal Impact at Stade Saputo on Sunday, April 28. The match against the Impact will mark the 19th league meeting between both clubs.
Prior to facing the Fire, the Impact (3-3-2, 11 points) will travel to Gillette Stadium to take on the New England Revolution on Wednesday, April 24. Currently sitting in sixth place in the Eastern Conference, the Impact is led in scoring by midfielders Saphir TaÃ¯der and Ignacio Piatti (three).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 21, 2019
- Sounders FC Drops First Match of 2019 Season in 4-1 Loss to Los Angeles FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Defeats Seattle Sounders FC 4-1 on Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- Notes & Quotes: D.C. United 0 â?? 2 New York City FC - New York City FC
- D.C. United Lose 2-0 to New York City FC - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 21, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Quakes earn second win in last three matches; Hoesen tallies brace - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting KC's Unbeaten Run Halted in San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Defeat Columbus Crew SC 3-1 at Mapfre Stadium - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 20, 2019
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 4-1 to San Jose Earthquakes at Avaya Stadium
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Loans Stefan Cleveland, Grant Lillard to Lansing Ignite FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 13, 2019
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan Voted MLS Player of the Week