Chicago Fire FC Acquires Slovakia National Team Defender Boris Sekulic
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC announced today that the Club has acquired Slovakia National Team defender Boris SekuliÄ via transfer from GÃ³rnik Zabrze in the Ekstraklasa league. He will be added to the Fire's roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P1 Visa. He is under contract with the Fire through the 2022 season.
"Boris is a talented and smart defender that will immediately strengthen our backline," said Chicago Fire FC Head Coach Raphael Wicky. "We are excited to welcome him to Chicago ahead of the 2020 season."
SekuliÄ, 28, joins the Fire with an extensive professional career, including 285 appearances across all competitions in Serbia, Slovakia, Bulgaria and, most recently, Poland.
The defender began his career playing for the youth academy at FK Zemun, before joining GrafiÄar Beograd on loan in 2009. SekuliÄ spent three seasons with Beograd (2009-2011), making 27 appearances for the club. Following his stint in Serbia, SekuliÄ spent eight years in Slovakia's premier division, Slovak Super Liga, with KoÅ¡ice (2011-2015) and Slovan Bratislaca (2015-2018).
During his time in the Slovak Super Liga, the defender made 183 appearances and won the Slovak Cup in 2013-14, 2016-17 and 2017-18. In June 2018, SekuliÄ signed with Bulgarian First League side CSKA Sofia (2018-2019) and made 12 appearances.
In 2019, SekuliÄ transferred to the Ekstraklasa league and joined GÃ³rnik Zabrze, one of the most successful clubs in Polish football. In two seasons with the club, SekuliÄ made 36 appearances (36 starts) and scored two goals.
At the international level, SekuliÄ has earned two caps for the Slovakia National Team. SekuliÄ obtained Slovak citizenship in August 2017. He featured in the 2018 King's Cup, helping Slovakia win the annual international tournament.
SekuliÄ will join the Fire for preseason training camp in Los Angeles. He will occupy an international slot on Chicago's 2020 roster.
The Fire will kick off the 2020 MLS season on the road versus reigning MLS Cup champion Seattle Sounders FC on March 1 at 2:00 p.m. CT (ESPN). Chicago will officially make its return to Soldier Field on Saturday, March 21 when the team hosts Atlanta United FC in its 2020 home opener at 2:30 p.m. CT (Univision).
Single-match tickets for the Fire's 2020 home opener are available now by calling 888-MLS-FIRE or by visiting ChicagoFireFC.com. Additionally, fans can reserve a seat at all 17 Fire home matches for as low as $15 per game with the purchase of a season-long ticket package.
Transaction: Chicago Fire FC acquires defender Boris SekuliÄ via transfer from GÃ³rnik Zabrze.
Name: Boris SekuliÄ
Weight: 161 lbs.
Date of Birth: October 21, 1991
Hometown: Belgrade, DFR Yugoslavia
Birthplace: Belgrade, DFR Yugoslavia
Last Club: GÃ³rnik Zabrze
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 15, 2020
- Preseason Game Report #5: Montreal Impact 1-2 Tampa Bay Rowdies - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo Open Visit Tucson Sun Cup with 1-1 Draw against New York Red Bulls - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 1, Toronto FC 2 - Saturday, February 15, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Slovakia National Team Defender Boris Sekulic - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- 10-Man Chicago Fire Narrowly Falls 2-1 to Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 26 Ã¢ÂÂ November 1
- Chicago Fire FC Extend Home Unbeaten Streak to Six Games, Draw New York Red Bulls 2-2
- Chicago Fire FC Away Match against Minnesota United FC Rescheduled to November 4
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 19-25