Carden Dazzles Again in Shutout Win
SAUGET, Ill. - Chris Carden fired seven shutout innings and Dustin Woodcock launched a three-run homer to power the Gateway Grizzlies to a 3-0 win Sunday over the Florence Freedom at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Woodcock's drive over the right-field wall came with two outs in the first inning and supplied the entirety of the Grizzlies' offense. The big fly was Woodcock's third professional home run, all of which have come in the first two weeks of July.
After they collected four hits in the first inning, the Grizzlies (22-32) did not have another. Connor Owings reached on a one-out walk in the third inning, after which point Freedom pitches combined to retired 17 Grizzlies in a row.
Carden (5-1) turned in his fifth straight quality start. He matched a career high with seven innings pitched, which equaled his total from his most recent outing July 5 against Southern Illinois and dropped his season ERA to 3.60. Over his last two outings, he's allowed only three hits across 14 innings.
Patrick Boyle walked the Florence (37-18) leadoff hitter in the eighth inning but followed with three consecutive strikeouts to earn a hold. Geoff Bramblett locked down his second save in as many chances with a perfect ninth inning. Over three appearances in July, Bramblett has retired all 10 batters he's faced with six strikeouts.
Gateway snapped its three-game losing streak and ended the Freedom's three-game winning streak.
Moreover, the Grizzlies once again closed within 6 1/2 games of a tie between the River City Rascals and the Southern Illinois Miners for the Frontier League's final playoff spot.
Gateway will be off Monday before opening a three-game series Tuesday against Southern Illinois at 6:35 p.m. CDT in Marion, Ill.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Lake Erie Shuts out Evansville to Win Series - Lake Erie Crushers
- Freedom Fall in Shutout Finale - Florence Freedom
- Carden Dazzles Again in Shutout Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Suffer Sunday Loss to Joliet - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Drop Weekend Finale, Series - Evansville Otters
- Errors Doom Rascals in Loss - River City Rascals
- Strong Pitching, Late Offense Lead to Bolts Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Boomers Pitch to Third Straight Series Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Opportunities Left on the Field for Washington in Rubber-Game Loss - Washington Wild Things
- Tyler Reichenborn Signs with St. Louis - Florence Freedom
- Crushers Offense Dominates Game Two in Evansville - Lake Erie Crushers
- Crushers Even Series with Game Two Win over Otters - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.