Capitals Assign Braden Holtby to Hershey
ARLINGTON, Va. - The Washington Capitals have assigned goaltender Braden Holtby to the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL), vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.
Holtby was recalled on Oct. 13 for Washington's game at Pittsburgh but did not play. He made 27 saves in a 3-2 win in Binghamton on Oct. 7 to collect his first win of the season for the Bears. Last season, he posted a record of 17-10-2, was ranked tied for eighth in the AHL in goals-against average (2.29), 11th in save percentage (.920) and was tied for sixth in the league with five shutouts for the Bears.
The 22-year-old Holtby posted a 10-2-2 record with a 1.79 goals-against average and a .934 save percentage in 14 games with the Capitals last season. He became the first Caps rookie goaltender to be named NHL Player of the Week since Jim Carey accomplished the feat during the 1994-95 season. The 6'2," 203-pound Holtby won his last five starts with Washington and recorded the only assist for a Caps goaltender last season.
The Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, native was the Capitals' fourth-round choice, 93rd overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 14, 2011
- Admirals Top Wolves 4-2 in Home Opener - Milwaukee Admirals
- Admirals Double up Wolves, 4-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Bears Power Past Admirals, 7-5 - Norfolk Admirals
- Rookies Standout in Albany Devils' First Win - Albany Devils
- Devils beat Whale in OT - Connecticut Whale
- Penguins Can't Push Past Falcons in 7-4 Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Fall to Monarchs - Providence Bruins
- Lawson, Bulldogs Crash IceCaps' Party with 4-0 Shutout Win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Power Past Sound Tigers 6-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs Melt IceCaps in 4-0 Victory - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Coyotes Assign Kyle Chipchura to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Mike Angelidis Named Captain of Norfolk Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Crunch Open Season with 5-4 OT Win Over Binghamton - Syracuse Crunch
- Barons Introduce Barons Buddies Program; Home Opener Tomorrow - Oklahoma City Barons
- Stars Host H-E-B Food Drive for Capital Area Food Bank - Texas Stars
- Listen to Tonight's Game on 104.9 FM WXRX - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Sends Larsen to Texas - Texas Stars
- Negrin Assigned to Utah - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Reassign Forward Louie Caporusso to Elmira Jackals - Binghamton Senators
- Texas Stars Game Day Notes - Texas Stars
- Islanders Assign Colliton to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Capitals Assign Braden Holtby to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- St. Laurent Recalled to P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Barons Game Notes for October 14 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Aeros Game Day, October 14 - Houston Aeros
- Griffins' Home Opener Tonight - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.