Can-Am League Average Game Time Down 21 Minutes From 2017
July 12, 2018 - Canadian American League (Can-Am) News Release
Durham, N.C. - With the 2018 season at its halfway point, the average nine-inning Can-Am League game this season has taken 2 hours, 47 minutes, down 21 minutes from last season's average of 3 hours, 8 minutes.
Over the last few seasons, the league has taken several initiatives to improve the pace of play and reduce game times, including the international tiebreaker rule, in which a runner begins the 11th inning on second base. All affiliated minor leagues put into place a similar rule starting this season.
Much of 2018's reduction in nine-inning game time can be attributed additional pace of play rules implemented by the league this season, which include:
- Mound visits limited to 30 seconds.
- One catcher's visit to the mound per inning, per pitcher.
- A pitcher must deliver a pitch within 20 seconds of receiving the ball. Failure to comply results in an automatic ball.
- Between innings, the team taking the field has 90 seconds to warm up once the last fielder crosses the foul line closest to their team's dugout.
- New pitchers allowed two minutes to warm up.
- A batter must enter the batter's box within 15 seconds of the prior batter's completed at-bat. If he does not, a strike is added to the count.
- A batter may not step out of the batter's box once the at-bat has begun (Official Baseball Rule 5.04 (4)(A)). The batter must keep one foot in the batter's box at all times. Failure to comply results in an automatic strike.
- If a manager wants to intentionally walk a batter, he signals to the plate umpire.
Now in its 14th season, the Can-Am League features six teams in New Jersey, New York, Ontario and Quebec playing a 102-game season. 17 alumni of league clubs have reached the major leagues.
All Can-Am League games can be watched live for free on CanAmLeague.tv.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Miners Walk off Jackals - Sussex County Miners
- Eighth Inning Spells End for Champions in Trois-Rivieres - Ottawa Champions
- Can-Am League Game Recaps - Can-Am
- Krause Collects Four Hits in Loss to Capitales - Rockland Boulders
- Can-Am League Average Game Time Down 21 Minutes From 2017 - Can-Am
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.