Bulls Take South Division Lead with a 7-1 Topping of Odessa
Amarillo, TX - The Amarillo Bulls flew past the Odessa Jackalopes with a 7-1 victory as they took command of the South Division standings on Sunday afternoon.
Noah Carlin wasted little time in scoring his seventh of the season, when he wristed a shot into the back of the net just 1:17 into the opening period. With under a minute to go in the frame, Carlin would find the back of the net for the second time, this time on the powerplay, to give Amarillo the 2-0 lead.
Amarillo was hungry to grow its lead as mid-way through the second period, Ty Black scored his eight of the year on a powerplay chance. Later, the Bulls would go shorthanded but would not be phased, as Jordan Venegoni scored shorthanded for his 2oth tally of the season. Venegoni would follow-up his 20th goal with his 21st just a few minutes later during even strength hockey. The Bulls weren't done scoring, as Devan Tongue would lift his ninth goal of the year into the back of the net on a late powerplay opportunity.
Late in the third period, the Bulls would take the 7-0 lead when Niclas Puikkonen netted a loose puck for his eighth of the season. The Jackalopes would score a late powerplay goal from Jack Rudin, but it would come as no threat to the Bulls' victory.
Charlie Glockner would stop 15 of the 16 shots that he faced to earn his 13th victory on the season.
With the win, the Bulls are now 28-6-1-2 and hold 59 points and have captured the top spot in South Division standings and have acquired the most points in the entire North American Hockey League.
The Bulls will take to the road on Friday, January 17, to take on the Shreveport Mudbugs. Mark Shelley will broadcast the game from the Spicy Mike's Bar-B-Q Broadcast Booth, and the action will begin at 7:11PM CST on 107.1 Nash Icon and Hockey TV.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2020
- Bugs Rout IceRays & Complete Season Sweep - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bulls Take South Division Lead with a 7-1 Topping of Odessa - Amarillo Bulls
- Jackalopes Drop Third Straight in Amarillo - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mudbugs Close out Sweep of IceRays - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Wings Split Weekend Series with 7-4 Win Saturday - Aberdeen Wings
- Bugs Blast IceRays - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Special Teams Help Lead Titans to 7-4 Win over Nordiques - New Jersey Titans
- Ice Wolves Tender Tylor Greene - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Brown Bears Go Winless on Deep South Roadtrip - Kenai River Brown Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Amarillo Bulls Stories
- Bulls Announce Events for Make-A-Wish Night
- Glockner Blanks Mudbugs as Bulls Complete Weekend Sweep
- Special Teams Shine as Bulls Down Mudbugs in Battle of the Bodies
- Bulls Outlast Mudbugs in Friday Night Dogfight
- Bulls Stumble Late as Mudbugs Rally in Third Period