Bugs Bite Wolves for Seventh Win in Their Past Eight
The Shreveport Mudbugs (12-12-4) capitalized on a rare penalty shot and got solid goaltending to lead the way to a 4-1 win over the New Mexico Ice Wolves and capture their seventh win in their last eight at George's Pond in Hirsch Coliseum Saturday night.
Shreveport took advantage of their first penalty shot of the season as New Mexico was penalized for a player covering up the puck in their own crease. Connor Gatto was chosen from Coach Soupy and he skated in and faked with the backhanded and fore-handed home his fourth goal of the season at 7:43 to give the Bugs a 1-0 lead. Shreveport would add on at 16:04 when Gunner Moore would rifle a puck from the point which snuck its way into the cage for his third tally of the year to push the Bugs' lead to 2-0. Billy Feczko earned the only assist on Moore's tally. New Mexico would roar back late in the opening period on the PP when Jake Keller tapped in an easy goal off a perfect pass along the short side for his sixth goal of the season to make it a 2-1 contest. The Wolves led in SOG, 14-12 after one.
The Bugs regained their two-goal at 13:47 of the 2nd period off a neutral zone turnover caused by Logan Valkama who wired home his fourth tally of the season along the short side for his fourth goal of the season to make it a 3-1 Shreveport edge. The Wolves led in SOG, 23-18 after two.
The Bugs stopped any kind of momentum New Mexico had and put the icing on the cake as Captain Garrett Steele rammed home an EN goal at 19:00 to seal up a 4-1 victory over New Mexico.
Simon Bucheler gets the win in net making 30 saves on the night to help Shreveport win their seventh game in their last eight.
The Bugs will continue their home-stand and welcome in the Wichita Falls Warriors for a two-game series at George's Pond in Hirsch Coliseum. It'll be Military Appreciation weekend with Game 1 of the series next Friday night at 7:11 p.m. â
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from January 1, 2022
- Bugs Bite Wolves for Seventh Win in Their Past Eight - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Tomahawks Top Generals in Shootout - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Hat Tricks Split Holiday Weekend with Nordiques - Danbury Jr. Hat Tricks
- Jacks Score Season-High 8 Goals in NYE Win over El Paso - Odessa Jackalopes
- Weekend Recap - Minot Minotauros
- Hat Tricks Look for Series Sweep in Lewiston - Danbury Jr. Hat Tricks
- Nords Fall to the Hat Tricks in the Last Game of 2021 - Maine Nordiques
- Wings Finish 2021 with 5-3 Win over St. Cloud - Aberdeen Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.