Buffalo Signs UNH Captain Marie-Jo Pelletier
Marie-Jo Pelletier, the outstanding all-zone defender who earlier this year completed her collegiate career at the University of New Hampshire, has joined the National Women's Hockey League. The native of Dalhousie, New Brunswick, Canada has signed to play the upcoming season with the Buffalo Beauts.
The 4-11 defender was so highly regarded at UNH that she was voted a team captain by the end of her freshman season and remained a captain until the end of her collegiate career.
"It's an absolute privilege to have the opportunity to continue playing the game that I love and contribute to the growth of the NWHL and female hockey as a whole," said Pelletier. "I am incredibly blessed and thankful for this opportunity."
In 143 games at UNH, the 4-11 defender had 13 goals and 39 assists for 52 points. Her best season offensively was in 2016-17, when Pelletier had 8 goals and 11 assists in 35 games.
"MJ is a spitfire on and off the ice and we could not be more proud to have her representing the Beauts, said Buffalo general manager Mandy Cronin. "She is the epitome of the type of player and person that we want to fill our roster with. She is a proven leader and will be a respected player in the league and in our organization."
Head Coach Pete Perram added: "MJ is an enormous talent and the whole package. She will anchor the defense and contribute to the offense."
Prior to UNH, Pelletier developed as a player in New Brunswick at Rothesay Netherwood School and the Dalhousie Minor Hockey Association.
"I look forward to contributing to the success of our team with my work ethic and the passion that I have for the game," said Pelletier. "I am so excited to be part of the Buffalo Beauts organization and play in the NWHL."
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from August 5, 2019
- NWHL All-Star Audra Richards Signs with Hometown Minnesota Whitecaps - Minnesota Whitecaps
- Buffalo Signs UNH Captain Marie-Jo Pelletier - Buffalo Beauts
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Beauts Stories
- Brooke Stacey Takes NWHL Goal-Scoring Lead, Buffalo Completes Sweep of Whale
- Pelletier OT Goal Caps Beauts' Comeback in 5-4 Win over the Whale
- Buffalo's Ruggiero Looks to Bring Speed, Scoring Touch to Beauts' Lineup
- Beauts Defender Marie-Jo Pelletier to Raise Funds and Awareness for "The Teacher's Desk" in WNY
- Team Chinese Taipei G Tiffany Hsu Joins Beauts, Becomes NWHL's 100th Player this Season