NWHL All-Star Audra Richards Signs with Hometown Minnesota Whitecaps
The defending Isobel Cup champions just got even stronger.
Audra Richards, the NWHL All-Star who was raised in the State of Hockey, played for the Minnesota Thoroughbreds and attended Tartan High School, has signed with the Minnesota Whitecaps. Last season, the forward tied Madison Packer with a team-high 8 goals for the Metropolitan Riveters. Richards is a Physical Education teacher for kindergarten through fourth grade in Independent School District 197, at Moreland Elementary and Somerset Elementary.
"The NWHL is truly something special and I am tremendously happy to be a part of it for another season," said Richards. "Being able to play in my home state for the first time in seven years will be an incredible experience, knowing I will be with so many of my family members, friends, former and current teammates and opponents. It will also be amazing to see some of my students in the stands."
Whitecaps' co-head coach Jack Brodt said: "We are very pleased to have Audra on the Whitecaps this season. She had a really good year with the Riveters last year and we are expecting her to be a contributor for the Whitecaps this year."
Richards, 25, played at Maine from 2012-2016, scoring 45 goals and adding 25 assists for 70 points in 132 games. She scored 15 goals as a sophomore and 14 as a senior - leading the Black Bears in goals and points in both seasons. Before Maine, Richards, earned letters at Tartan High School in hockey, soccer and track and field.
"I am extremely excited to be signing with the Minnesota Whitecaps," said Richards. "It is a fantastic program with great leadership and success and I cannot wait to be a part of it.
"I would also like to thank the Riveters for giving me the opportunity to play in the NWHL as a rookie last season. It was a dream come true. My thanks go out to the Riveters fans. I will truly miss your enthusiasm and I cannot wait to see you in New Jersey."
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from August 5, 2019
- NWHL All-Star Audra Richards Signs with Hometown Minnesota Whitecaps - Minnesota Whitecaps
- Buffalo Signs UNH Captain Marie-Jo Pelletier - Buffalo Beauts
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Whitecaps Stories
- Whitecaps Season Tickets, with Reserved Seating, Go on Sale Tuesday at 11 a.m. CT
- Minnesota Native Stephanie Anderson Returns Home to Sign with Whitecaps
- NWHL All-Star Audra Richards Signs with Hometown Minnesota Whitecaps
- Three-Time NCAA National Champion Meghan Lorence Signs with Whitecaps
- Whitecaps Sign Haylea Schmid, Allie Morse