Boston Silences the Swarm in a 14-10 Victory
Boston, MA - The Boston Blazers traveled to the XCel Energy Center Saturday evening in an East versus West match-up against the Minnesota Swarm. In a back and forth offensive battle, Boston scored its fourth straight victory defeating the Swarm, 14-10 before a crowd of 7,051 fans.
Setting the tone for the night, Blazers captain Dan Dawson scored just 21 seconds into the first quarter off assists from Casey Powell and Josh Sanderson. Minnesota's Callum Crawford netted his squad's first of the night at the 4:37 mark in the first.
Following a power play goal from Sanderson, Blazers Kevin Buchanan knocked his first of three off an assist from Powell. With just 2.7 seconds remaining in the quarter, the Swarm's Andrew Watt scored an outstanding one handed goal to tie the score, 3-3.
In a productive second quarter, Minnesota and Boston combined for 12 goals including three Blazers buckets in less than three minutes by Buchanan, Jamie Rooney, and Sean Morris. The Swarm however kept in the game as Jamie Shewchuk knocked in his first goal since joining Minnesota this week and two straight points from Aaron Wilson.
Moving into the second half with a tied 9-9 score, goaltender Anthony Cosmo held the Swarm to just two goals. The Blazers completed their win with Buchanan's third goal of the evening along with two more points from Sanderson.
Sanderson led the Blazers with four goals and two assists. Buchanan scored three goals and one assist while Powell had one goal and six assists in the Blazers win. The Swarm were led by Crawford who had two goals and four assists and Watt who knocked in two goals and one assist.
Cosmo completed the evening with 27 saves on 38 shots on goal and Minnesota's goaltender Nick Patterson recorded 25 saves on 39 shots on goal.
The Blazers return home on Sunday, March 6th at 5:00pm at the TD Garden as they take on the Buffalo Bandits. Tickets are still available at blazerslacrosse.com or by calling 888-BLAZERS.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from February 19, 2011
- Swarm face tough defensive battle, only manage two goals in second half - Minnesota Swarm
- Rock Takes Season And Weekend Sweep Over Knighthawks In 13-6 Win - Rochester Knighthawks
- Wings Victorious over Bandits 10-9 in Buffalo - Philadelphia Wings
- Boston Silences the Swarm in a 14-10 Victory - Boston Blazers
- Rock Sweep Weekend Set With Rochester - Toronto Rock
- Bandits Giving Kids Get a Chance to 'Play Like the Pros' - Buffalo Bandits
- Washington Stealth Defeats Colorado in 20-7 Rout - Washington Stealth
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals