Boston Blazers All-Star Dan Dawson Wins League Sportsmanship Award
BOSTON (May 11, 2009) - The National Lacrosse League (NLL) recently announced that Boston Blazers forward Dan Dawson was awarded the NLL's Sportsmanship Award for the 2009 season. Dawson was honored for his leadership and contributions both on and off the floor as he helped lead the Blazers to a 10-6 record and berth in the playoffs in the franchise's first year.
The eight-year pro led the Blazers offense and ranked second in the league in scoring with 104 points on the season (30 goals, 74 assists). He served as team captain and his leadership skills were invaluable on a young team that surprised many by challenging for the East Division title and making the playoffs in its expansion season.
Dawson also became a recognizable face of the team in the Boston community as he served as one of the primary spokespersons for the team's LEAD program, a community-based initiative aimed at educating students about the sport of lacrosse while inspiring them to achieve goals which at first may seem impossible. The program targets local school children in the Greater Boston area and gives students an opportunity to interact with professional athletes on a personal level while instilling the importance of teamwork, leadership and healthy lifestyles. Dawson played a key role in the program, helping to teach young students to empower themselves and how to work together to reach for their goals.
Back on the floor, he was assessed a total of only eight penalty minutes while playing in all 16 games of the regular season.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from May 11, 2009
- Smith and Montour Win NLL Individual Honors - Buffalo Bandits
- Merrill Named Top Transition Player - Portland Lumberjax
- NLL 2009 Season Awards: Transition, Defensive and Goaltender of the Year announced - NLL
- Boston Blazers All-Star Dan Dawson Wins League Sportsmanship Award - Boston Blazers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals