Boomers Stopped Short at Washington
WASHINGTON, PA - The defending Frontier League champion Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, kept battling but stranded the tying runs on base in the ninth inning of a 9-6 loss at the hand of the Washington Wild Things on Saturday night.
Washington opened a 3-0 lead in the game with two runs in the second inning and a single tally in the third. Ty Moore opened the fourth inning with a triple and scored the first run for the Boomers on a groundout from Kenny Towns. Trailing 4-1 in the top of the sixth, Moore smashed his second homer of the season, a three-run blast to tie the game. Washington responded with four runs in the bottom of the innings to gain control once more. Zack Weigel singled home two in the seventh to pull Schaumburg within 8-6, and the Boomers loaded the bases with one out in the ninth but could not overtake Washington closer Zach Strecker.
Starter Will Stillman worked 3.2 innings and did not factor in the decision, walking six. Dylan Stutsman took the loss in relief, tossing 3.1 innings. Moore tallied three hits, scored twice and drove home three, falling a double shy of the cycle. Schaumburg finished with 10 hits. Weigel notched two hits as well.
The Boomers (23-20) conclude the series on Sunday at 4:35 p.m. with the rubber contest. RHP Payton Lobdell (1-3, 2.52) starts for Schaumburg opposite LHP Thomas Dorminy (5-2, 2.56). Schaumburg returns home to celebrate Independence Day on July 3 with the first of back-to-back nights of fireworks on a $1 Hot Dog Tuesday. Make the Boomers part of your plans this summer by calling (847) 461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 30, 2018
- Belter Bullpen Shuts out Freedom Again to Even the Series - Normal CornBelters
- Otters Comeback Falls Short against River City - Evansville Otters
- Slammers Bring Out the Bats in 10-3 Win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Wild Things Snap Three-Game Skid - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Take Game Two vs Lake Erie Saturday Night - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Hammer Beach Bums in 18-2 Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Grizzlies Suffer Fourth Straight One-Run Loss - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Hold off Grizzlies for Fourth Straight Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Stopped Short at Washington - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Blown out by 'Bolts - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Washington Signs Two Players, Places Reydel Medina on Suspended List - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.