Bob Irving to be Inducted into Ring of Honour at IG Field Prior to Western Final
WINNIPEG, MB. - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce Bob Irving as the 13th inductee to the Ring of Honour at IG Field.
The long-time play-by-play voice of the Blue Bombers has been covering the team since joining CJOB in September of 1973 and his call of games beginning in 1974 became synonymous with Blue Bombers football over these many decades. Now 71, Irving made official earlier this month that the 2021 season would be his last at the microphone.
"The Winnipeg Football Club's Ring of Honour is reserved for this franchise's icons, both players and coaches. Now we can proudly add Bob as the icon among play-by-play callers," said Blue Bombers President and CEO Wade Miller. "This organization has been fortunate to have had such a long association with Bob, not just as a broadcaster, but as someone who always been a supporter of Winnipeg, of the Blue Bombers and the Canadian Football League. It only seems fitting that his name should have a place alongside the other legends in this franchise's long and storied history."
A member of numerous sporting halls of fame - including the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and the Manitoba Sportswriters and Sportscasters Media Roll of Honour - Irving also received the Order of Manitoba in 2014, our province's highest honour. A formal ceremony officially adding Irving to the Ring of Honour will be held prior to the Western Final December 5th at IG Field, with the opening kickoff scheduled for 3 p.m. CST. The football club has a number of holiday-themed extras for the Western Final in addition to the usual tailgate additions at this time of year of fire pits and warming huts, fans will also be able to enjoy rum and eggnog or caribou while partaking in traditional Voyageur games as led by members of the Festival du Voyageur team. As well, the first 500 fans will be able to enjoy maple syrup taffy in the tailgate area and Santa will be available for photos at Gate 2.
The Bombers will face the winner of this weekend's Western Semi-final between the host Saskatchewan Roughriders and visiting Calgary Stampeders. The Western Final winner will advance to the 108th Grey Cup, to be held Sunday, December 12th at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton. Tickets to the Western Final at IG Field are still available for purchase.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from November 25, 2021
- Steven Lee Olsen with Special Guest Jessia to Headline the SiriusXM Grey Cup Kickoff Show; Savannah Ré to Sing the National Anthem - CFL
- Pair of Fines Issued after Week 16 Action - CFL
- RedBlacks Re-Sign Norman, Salmon and Texada - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Bob Irving to be Inducted into Ring of Honour at IG Field Prior to Western Final - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- 'Big Wreck' to Play Halftime Show at Ticats Eastern Semi-Final Playoff Game - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Head Coach Ryan Dinwiddie & OL Peter Nicastro up for 2021 CFL Awards - Toronto Argonauts
- Lawrence & Revenberg up for 2021 CFL Awards - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Blue Bombers Head Coach Mike O'shea Named Coach of the Year Finalist - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Paredes Is West's Top Special Teams Player - Calgary Stampeders
- Stanback and Ménard Nominated for CFL Most Outstanding Awards - Montreal Alouettes
- Collaros, Bryant and Bighill Named West Nominees for Most Outstanding Player Awards - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Stanback and Collaros Headline 2021 CFL Awards Finalists - CFL
- Bo Lokombo and Jordan Williams Earn West Nominations for CFL Awards - B.C. Lions
- RedBlacks' Dedmon Named East Division's Top Special Teams Player - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Riders Sign American Linebacker Tegray Scales - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Two Added to Practice Roster - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- COVID-19 Protocols Help CFL Conclude Successful Regular Season - CFL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Blue Bombers Stories
- Bob Irving to be Inducted into Ring of Honour at IG Field Prior to Western Final
- Blue Bombers Head Coach Mike O'shea Named Coach of the Year Finalist
- Collaros, Bryant and Bighill Named West Nominees for Most Outstanding Player Awards
- Two Added to Practice Roster
- 15 Blue Bombers Named West Division All-Stars