Blumel Becomes Edmonton Draft Pick
Waterloo, Iowa - Matej Blumel became one of the United States Hockey League's more fearsome offensive threats in 2018/19, leading the Edmonton Oilers to select him with the 100th overall pick Saturday during the 2019 NHL Draft.
During Blumel's second season with the Waterloo Black Hawks, he tied for 11th in USHL scoring with 60 points (30 goals, 30 assists) in 58 games. A hat trick on October 6th versus the Central Illinois Flying Aces was the first of seven multigoal games for Blumel last season. That performance included one of his four shorthanded goals during the season, and one of his eight game-winners (a category in which he finished tied for second in the USHL). No player was more successful at challenging league goaltenders during the winter; Blumel led the USHL with 238 shots on goal.
"Matej's time in Waterloo is a case study in patient development," said Black Hawks Head Coach P.K. O'Handley. "He was able to grow considerably from his first season to this year, and he really had the opportunity to show what he could do while making an important contribution to our success."
Blumel is committed to the University of Connecticut.
The Oilers picked him in the 4th round. Former Black Hawk Patrick Russell made his NHL debut with Edmonton in November, and Waterloo alum Chris Ferraro played briefly for Oilers in 1998/99. However, Edmonton was one of four NHL teams which had never previously drafted a Black Hawk prior to this summer.
During his first season with the Black Hawks in 2017/18, Blumel notched eight goals and 10 assists in 50 games. His career Black Hawks totals add up to 38 goals and 40 assists in 108 regular season games. Blumel appeared in the USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game during both of his years in Waterloo.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from June 22, 2019
- USHL Has Record-Breaking Draft with 52 Active Players Selected in NHL Draft - USHL
- Record-Breaking 17 Players Selected Directly from NTDP in 2019 NHL Draft - U.S. National Team
- Three Force Players Drafted in 2019 NHL Draft; Huglen, Nodler and Brady - Fargo Force
- Strong Showing for Steel at NHL Draft - Chicago Steel
- Pair of RoughRiders Selected in 2019 NHL Draft - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Blumel Becomes Edmonton Draft Pick - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Firstov Is First Hawk Chosen - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.