Blue Crabs Knock Off Bees For Second Straight Night
(New Britain, CT) - The Southern Maryland Blue Crabs (3-2, 29-39) defeated the New Britain Bees (2-3, 35-33) 8-4 at New Britain Stadium on Saturday night and have now taken the first two games of a three-game weekend series in the Constitution State.
New Britain starting pitcher Josh Outman (2-3) was tagged with the loss after surrendering four runs on seven hits in three and one-third innings on the mound while also hitting a batter. The southpaw was also ejected in the top half of the fourth inning with one man down. Southern Maryland starting pitcher Drake Britton (4-5) earned the win for the visitors, allowing three runs on four hits (one home run) over five innings pitched, walking two and striking out five.
Southern Maryland took an immediate 1-0 lead just three batters into the ballgame as Teodoro Martinez plated Ryan Strausborger with a sacrifice fly after Strausborger led off the contest with a double. New Britain jumped out in front 2-1 in the bottom of the frame when Deibinson Romero cracked a two-run home run to left off Britton, his team-leading tenth big fly of the campaign. The Blue Crabs went right back to work just one half inning later by scoring three runs to go back on top 4-2. The Bees got to within 4-3 in the bottom of the third on an RBI base knock from Brock Stassi that enabled Vince Conde to score after he led off the frame with a free pass. Trailing 5-3 in the bottom of the sixth, the boys from the Hardware City got back to within a single run at 5-4 when Ryan Wagner tallied his first rib eye steak in a New Britain uniform after being hit by a pitch with the bases loaded that scored Romero. That was as close as the Bees would get as Southern Maryland would tack on three more unanswered runs in their final two offensive innings at the plate to give the game its final score of 8-4. Romero collected two hits for New Britain in the losing effort. Photo provided courtesy of Charlie Barbeisch.
The Bees conclude their series with the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs at New Britain Stadium on Sunday, July 15th. First pitch is scheduled for 1:35 P.M. It will be another YMCA Family Fun Day in the Hardware City. Before the game, fans will have the opportunity to get autographs from the Bees. After the game, kids can run the bases. All fans will have the opportunity to purchase a YMCA Family Four Pack for $44, which includes four field box tickets, four hot dogs, four bags of chips, and four sodas or waters!
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from July 14, 2018
- Ducks Return Serve, Leveling Weekend Series in York - York Revolution
- Blue Crabs Knock Off Bees For Second Straight Night - New Britain Bees
- Ford's Fantastic Night Leads Ducks Past Revs - Long Island Ducks
- Barnstormers Drop 3-1 Decision at Somerset - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Patriots Win Fifth Straight to Open Second Half - Somerset Patriots
- Blue Crabs Win Second Straight over Bees - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Two Former Big League Pitchers Head to New Britain - New Britain Bees
- Welcome to the Field Your 'High Point Rockers' - High Point Rockers
- Revs Clobber Ducks in Return from All-Star Break - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Britain Bees Stories
- Bees Close Out Winning Campaign With Convincing Triumph Over Patriots
- Patriots Win Knocks Bees Out Of The Playoff Picture
- Historic Evening In The Garden State Keeps Bees Playoff Hopes Alive
- Bees Keep Rockers Champagne On Ice For At Least One More Night
- Rockers Win Deals Bees Crushing Blow To Playoff Hopes