Blazers to Meet Bandits in First Round of Playoffs
Boston, MA (April 19, 2011) The National Lacrosse League announced today that the Boston Blazers (8-8) will challenge the Buffalo Bandits (10-5) in the first round of the 2011 NLL Playoffs next Saturday, April 30 at 7:30pm at the HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY.
For the third time since their inauguration, the Blazers have clinched a playoff berth and enter postseason action as the #4 seed in the East. The Blazers last met the Bandits in postgame play in 2009 when Buffalo grabbed an 11-8 first round win.
Next Saturday will mark the seventh overall meeting of the two teams with Buffalo taking the regular season series, 2-1. On March 6, Buffalo claimed a close 9-8 decision over the Blazers in the TD Garden. The Blazers saw an outstanding offensive effort from Captain Dan Dawson (seven points: five goals, two assists) while defensively Kyle Rubisch led the team with eleven loose balls. Goaltender Anthony Cosmo stood strong between the pipes stopping 25 of the 33 shots he faced.
The two teams met again just a week later on March 12 in Buffalo when the Bandits claimed their second victory in a 12-10 final. Josh Sanderson (five points: two goals, three assists), Casey Powell (six points: two goals, four assists) and Dawson (seven points: one goal, six assists), led the Blazers offense.
The teams' final meeting and Boston's final game of the regular season came last Saturday, April 16 when the Blazers claimed a 16-9 victory on the road. The Blazers saw strong offensive play by Kevin Buchanan who tallied five goals, four assists, and four loose balls. Rubisch scooped a team leading 10 loose balls in the contest and Cosmo recorded 38 saves on 47 shots on goal.
The winner of this single elimination game will face the victor of next Saturday's Toronto vs. Rochester game in the Eastern Divisional Final. Tickets for the game will go on sale Friday, April 22 at 9 am and can be purchased by calling 1-888-467-2273 or online at www.bandits.com or www.tickets.com. The NLL Championship Game will be played the weekend of May 14 and aired on VERSUS.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from April 19, 2011
- Blazers to Meet Bandits in First Round of Playoffs - Boston Blazers
- Minnesota Swarm Playing for Home Playoff Game this Weekend - Minnesota Swarm
- Laverty Brings Grit and Passion to Defense - Rochester Knighthawks
- Washington Stealth to Face Minnesota in West Division Semi-Final - Washington Stealth
- Bandits, Blazers to Meet in First Round of Playoffs - Buffalo Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals