Blazers Acquire Former UMass Star Sean Morris
Boston (July 31, 2008) - In their second major deal this week, the Boston Blazers announced today that they have acquired San Jose Stealth forward Sean Morris, a former University of Massachusetts All-American from Marshfield, MA.
To obtain the rights to Morris, former Syracuse University defenseman Steve Panarelli and a 2010 second-round draft choice, the Blazers traded defenseman Devan Wray to the Calgary Roughnecks in exchange for defenseman Travis Gillespie and a third-round selection in the 2009 National Lacrosse League (NLL) entry draft. To complete the three-way trade, Boston sent Gillespie, forward Tom Johnson and a third-round draft pick in the 2009 NLL entry draft to the San Jose Stealth.
The deal unites two players from the University of Massachusetts' 2006 NCAA Final Four team as Morris joins defenseman Jack Reid who was acquired by the Blazers in a trade on Tuesday, July 29. Morris was the 2005 and 2006 NCAA Division 1 New England Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association player of the year.
"We are very excited about Sean's potential for growth as an indoor lacrosse player," said Blazers head coach and general manager Tom Ryan. "Sean and Jack Reid led the 2006 UMass Minutemen to the NCAA Finals, and we believe they will be two key components for the future success of the Blazers."
Morris, currently playing in Major League Lacrosse for the Boston Cannons, was a standout at Marshfield High School where he graduated in 2001 as the school's all-time leading scorer with 324 points. In his 2008 NLL season, he played three games with the San Jose Stealth and scored two goals and added six assists.
The Blazers are currently conducting a special ticket presale campaign where fans can purchase an eight- game ticket plan for the 2009 NLL season. Fans can obtain information on all Blazers ticket plans by calling 1-888-BLAZERS or by logging onto www.blazerslacrosse.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from July 31, 2008
- Knighthawks Name Steve Toll Franchise Player - Rochester Knighthawks
- Wings Goalie Rob Blasdell Receives Franchise Player Tag for 2009 - Philadelphia Wings
- Jax Franchise Disher And Malawsky - Portland Lumberjax
- Blazers Acquire Former UMass Star Sean Morris - Boston Blazers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals