Biscuits Come Back Again, Nip Generals, 10-9
JACKSON, Ten. - The Biscuits (79-44) rallied for the second-straight game and completed their largest comeback victory of the season, defeating Jackson Generals (68-52) for a third-consecutive game, 10-9, on Thursday night at The Ballpark at Jackson. The victory gave the Biscuits their first series win over the Generals in 2019, their fourth-straight victory, as well as their 79th win, which ties the 2018 Biscuits for the second-most in team history.
Shane McClanahan made his second Double-A start and had a bumpy first inning, surrendering four runs on four hits including a Pavin Smith RBI-single, a Renae Martinez sac fly, and a Drew Ellis two-run homer to left to put the Generals ahead 4-0 early.
Emilio Vargas was on the other side for Jackson, and the Biscuits would pull one back against the righty in the second thanks to David Rodriguez's RBI-single into left that made it 4-1. In the bottom of second the Generals increased their lead back to four at 5-1 with Daulton Varsho's RBI-single.
Tristan Gray would make it a 5-3 game when the first baseman launched his 15th home run of the season in the top of the fifth. The two-run bomb to right was Gray's sixth home run over and 15th RBI over his last 11 games.
In the bottom of the fifth, a throwing error by Taylor Walls and another two-run blast to left by Ellis off McClanahan made it an 8-3 game. McClanahan was then removed for Matt Krook (2-3), who relieved for the first time since June 16.
In the top of the sixth, the Biscuits would rally yet again, putting up six runs on seven hits to take their first lead of the evening at 9-8. Back-to-back singles by Josh Lowe and Carl Chester started the inning, and then a Rodriguez walk loaded the bases.
Rene Pinto then bounced a two-run single up the middle to make it 8-5. Walls then singled to load the bases again before Vidal Brujan slashed a three-run double down the right field line to tie the game at eight. After a Brett Sullivan single, Gray pummeled a Justin Donatella (5-3) offering into deep right-center for an RBI-double to polish off the six-spot and hand the Biscuits a 9-8 lead.
Krook would strike out the side in the sixth, and Ivan Pelaez came on to work a scoreless seventh. Walls tripled off Matt Brill to begin the eighth, and then Brujan brought home the shortstop on a Baltimore chop RBI-groundout that gave the Biscuits an insurance run at 10-8.
The Generals would make it a one-run game in the eighth at 10-9 courtesy of a Jeffrey Baez RBI-single off Dalton Moats. Moats would retire Pavin Smith on a flyout to right on the lefty's first pitch of the bottom of the ninth before handing things over to Brian Shaffer, who retired the final two batters for the right-hander's first save of the year.
The Biscuits will try to make it five in a row on Friday when Kenny Rosenberg (11-3) takes on Jeff Baine at 6:05 PM CT.
The Biscuits will return to Riverwalk Stadium for a five-game home stand against the Biloxi Shuckers beginning on Sunday, August 18 for Big Mo's Sweet 16 Mascot Mania. The rest of the home stand will include a Military Card Set Giveaway presented by Golden Corral on Wednesday, August 21 and Wrestling Night featuring a T-Shirt Giveaway on Thursday, August 22.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Lookouts Skunked Under the Full Moon - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Young's Walk-Off Lifts Smokies in 12 - Tennessee Smokies
- Montgomery Stuns Jackson, 10-9, with Six-Run Sixth Inning - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Edge Shrimp 5-4 in 12 Innings - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- M-Braves Spoil Parke's Perfect Game Bid, But Fall Short - Mississippi Braves
- Biscuits Come Back Again, Nip Generals, 10-9 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Parke Near Perfect as Barons Top M-Braves - Birmingham Barons
- Lockhart Placed on IL, Hursh Activated from IL - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Gameday: August 15 vs. Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Fan Favorite Willians Astudillo Joins Blue Wahoos on Rehab - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 15 at Tennessee - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Smokies Announce Wooden Bat Fall Ball League - Tennessee Smokies
- Blue Wahoos Put on a Show in 9-7 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biscuits Rally, Stun Generals, 5-4 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Late Montgomery Homers Cut Down Generals Again, 5-4 - Jackson Generals
- Late Jacksonville Homer Pushes Smokies to a 4-2 Loss - Tennessee Smokies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montgomery Biscuits Stories
- See You at Riverwalk this Week for Happy Hour, Tailgates, 5Ks, and More
- Beat the Heat, Hang out in the Club Car Bar
- Biscuits 2020 Season Cancelled
- Biscuits Charitable Foundation and Bama-Q TV to Stream Community Fundraiser
- Biscuits Serve Special Blend of Promotions in the Year of Chicken