Bees Walk-Off On Barnstormers To Even Up Series
ew Britain, CT) - The New Britain Bees (7-9) defeated the Lancaster Barnstormers (6-11) 5-4 in walk-off fashion in the bottom half of the ninth inning at New Britain Stadium on Wednesday night to even up the three-game midweek series at a victory apiece. The win was New Britain's first in 2019 in their final turn at the plate.
New Britain starting pitcher Zach Stewart tallied a no-decision in the ballgame, allowing three runs (one earned run) on six hits in five innings pitched, walking and striking out two while tossing a wild pitch. Lancaster starting pitcher John Anderson also did not factor in the game's final outcome, surrendering four runs (three earned runs) on seven hits in four and two-thirds innings on the mound, striking out two.
Down 2-0 in the bottom half of the fifth inning, the Bees batted around, scoring four runs on six hits to take their first lead of the night 4-2, highlighted by RBI singles produced by Logan Moore and Jason Rogers (Moore's of the infield variety) and a sacrifice fly off the bat of Darren Ford. The Barnstormers cut the deficit in half at 4-3 in the top of the sixth, and tied the game at four in the top of the ninth frame when Michael Martinez plated Darian Sandford with a sacrifice fly of his own after Sandford began the rally with a leadoff walk. In the last of the ninth, Moore opened up the inning with a free pass versus losing pitcher Andury Acevedo (0-1), and moved into scoring position at second base by way of a Ford sacrifice bunt. Back to back intentional walks to Alexi Amarista and Jason Rogers loaded the bases with Bees, setting the stage for Alejandro De Aza, who sent the Hardware City faithful home with smiles on their faces as he was hit by a pitch thrown from reliever Bryan Harper, and the celebration was on as Moore crossed the plate with the winning run, making a winner out of Jose Rosario (2-1) despite the blown save. De Aza and Jonathan Galvez each had two hits en route to the victory. Photo provided courtesy of the New Britain Bees.
The Bees conclude their series with the Lancaster Barnstormers at New Britain Stadium on Thursday, May 15th. First pitch is scheduled for 10:35 A.M. It will be the first School Day Game of the season, presented by Whitson's Catering.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Bees Walk-Off On Barnstormers To Even Up Series - New Britain Bees
- Bees Game Winner Forced Home in Ninth - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Rockers Take Second Game of Series over Patriots 3-1 - Somerset Patriots
- Southern Maryland's All-Around Performance Leads to Win - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Blue Crabs Pinch Ducks with Big First Inning - Long Island Ducks
- Sign Your Child up for a Bees Baseball & Softball Camp - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Britain Bees Stories
- Bees Close Out Winning Campaign With Convincing Triumph Over Patriots
- Patriots Win Knocks Bees Out Of The Playoff Picture
- Historic Evening In The Garden State Keeps Bees Playoff Hopes Alive
- Bees Keep Rockers Champagne On Ice For At Least One More Night
- Rockers Win Deals Bees Crushing Blow To Playoff Hopes