Bees Sting Skeeters In Series Opener
(New Britain, CT) - The New Britain Bees (28-26) defeated the Sugar Land Skeeters (31-25) 6-1 at New Britain Stadium on Friday night in the first of a three-game weekend series between inter-division rivals.
New Britain starting pitcher Giovanni Soto tallied a no-decision in the contest after firing four scoreless innings on just three hits allowed and six strikeouts. Sugar Land starting pitcher Christian Bergman (0-1) was tagged with the loss, surrendering five runs on nine hits (two home runs) in four innings of work, walking two and striking out three.
New Britain took a 1-0 lead versus Bergman in the bottom half of the first inning courtesy of a run-scoring base knock produced by Alejandro De Aza that plated Alexi Amarista after he led off the frame with a double down the right field line. The Bees flexed their muscles in the home half of the third, scoring four runs to extend their advantage to 5-0 thanks to a pair of home runs, the first a leadoff solo blast to right by Amarista, his team-leading 11th big fly of the season and third in the last two ballgames, and a three-run shot to left centerfield off the bat of Taylor Motter, his fourth roundtripper of the campaign. The boys from the Hardware City made it 6-0 in their favor in the middle of the fifth by way of Bijan Rademacher crossing the plate on a throwing error committed by Skeeters reliever Joe Lienhard after Rademacher doubled with one away and later advanced to third with his ninth bag swiped in 2019, matching him with Darren Ford for the tops on the ballclub in the stolen base department. The rest of the evening belonged to the pitching staff, as the quartet of Soto, winning pitcher Tyler Danish (1-0), Brandon Fry, and Jose Rosario did the rest, combining to strikeout a total of ten Sugar Land batters. Amarista led the offensive attack with three hits en route to the victory.
The Bees continue their series with the reigning Atlantic League of Professional Baseball Champion Sugar Land Skeeters at New Britain Stadium on Saturday, June 22nd. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 P.M. It will be another Coors Light Saturday Night in the Hardware City! Close out the evening with a spectacular post-game fireworks show, presented by Stanley Black & Decker! Don't forget, five dollar Coors Light drafts will be available for fans 21 and over at any concession stand ALL NIGHT LONG! The Bees will also host Scout Night in coordination with the Connecticut Rivers Council and the Girl Scouts of Connecticut. All Boy and Girl Scouts are eligible for discounted tickets, food vouchers, and a campout and movie in the outfield after the game! To sign your Scout up, visit www.ctrivers.org or e-mail email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 21, 2019
- Bees Sting Skeeters In Series Opener - New Britain Bees
- Incredible Rally Helps Ducks Secure Doubleheader Split - Long Island Ducks
- Thomas Toys with Patriots as Revs Claim Close Victory - York Revolution
- Somerset Drops Opener in York - Somerset Patriots
- Blue Crabs Rock High Point in Series Opener - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Revs Keep Rolling with Another Big Comeback Win - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Britain Bees Stories
- Bees Swat Skeeters For Third Consecutive Win
- Quality Pitching And Timely Hitting Propel Bees To Victory Over Skeeters
- Bees Pitching Silences Skeeters Bats On A Saturday In The Lone Star State
- Big Offensive Night Lifts Skeeters To Triumph Over Bees
- Bees Conclude Winning Homestand With Series Victory Over Rockers