Bees Earn Series Split
A four-run fifth inning helped the Salt Lake Bees beat the Round Rock Express 9-7 on Monday night.
Salt Lake struck first in the first inning with Taylor Ward scoring on a wild pitch and Kaleb Cowart bringing in two runs on a bases-loaded double to give the Bees 3-0 lead. The Express responded with a run in the second and plated two in the third frame to even the game at 3-3. After Round Rock took the lead by scoring one run on a Salt Lake fielding error in the fifth inning, the Bees bats responded in the bottom of the frame with four runs of their own highlighted by Cowart's two-RBI single. The Express and Bees both traded runs in the sixth with Salt Lake's coming from a Matt Thaiss solo home run. The Bees extended their back to four runs lead to 9-5 in the seventh and were able to hold on for the victory after Round Rock scored two in the ninth.
Bees pitcher Patrick Sandoval (2-2) got the start and allowed four runs (three earned) on six hits while fanning four batters in five innings of work. Sandoval was relieved by Adrian De Horta, who went three innings and allowed one earned run and Luke Bard collected his first save of the season. Salt Lake's offense was led by Kaleb Cowart, who went 2-for-5 with a season-high four RBI. Matt Thaiss homered in his second consecutive game, collecting his ninth home run this season.
The Bees take Tuesday off before embarking on a seven-game road trip through Tennessee with stops in Memphis and Nashville. The team returns to Smith's Ballpark on Thursday, June 20 to open up a nine-game homestand against the Fresno Grizzlies and Reno Aces.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Looking Forward to the Second Half - San Antonio Missions
- River Cats Welcome Storm Chasers, Cubs for Father's Day Weekend - Sacramento River Cats
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (June 12-18) - Memphis Redbirds
- Aviators Crush 6 HRs in 17-7 Rout of Missions - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aces Split Series, Win 6-4 - Reno Aces
- Bees Earn Series Split - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Battle, End Short at Reno - Memphis Redbirds
- Aviators Soar over Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Express Rally Falls Short in 9-7 Loss to Bees - Round Rock Express
- Oklahoma City dodges sweep, outlasts Fresno 6-5 on Monday - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Salt Lake Bees Stories
- Larry H. Miller Group of Companies Announces Massive Food Drive at LHM Dealerships, Megaplex Theatres and Sports Facilities
- MiLB Launches CommUNITY First Campaign
- Salt Lake Bees Announce Ticket PolicyÃÂ
- Netting to be Extended at Smith's Ballpark
- Bees National Anthem Auditions Slated for March 7