Beavers open 2004 season tonight in Las Vegas
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Beavers open their 144-game Pacific Coast League schedule tonight by taking on the Las Vegas 51s at Cashman Field in Las Vegas at 7:10 p.m.
Right-hander Dennis Tankersley is scheduled to start the season opener, becoming the fourth different Opening Day starter in the team's four seasons.
The Beavers open the campaign with a pair of four-game series at Las Vegas (April 8-11) and at Tucson (April 12-15) before making their home debut at PGE Park against the 51s on Friday, April 16. The April 16 game is the first of an eight-game homestand to kick off the 72-game home slate.
Full- and partial-season tickets are available by calling (503) 553-5555. Individual-game tickets are available for purchase at the PGE Park box office, through Ticketmaster, or by phoning (503) 224-4400.
NOTES: The Beavers made their first roster transaction on Thursday, adding RHP Marty McLeary, who was acquired from the Florida Marlins in exchange for RHP Bryan Gaal ... to make room for McLeary, 29, on the roster, RHP Steve Watkins was transferred to Class AA Mobile ... McLeary was a 10th-round selection of the Boston Red Sox in the 1997 draft and spent six seasons in the Sox chain before signing with the Marlins prior to the 2003 campaign ... the right-hander is 29-41 with a 4.19 ERA in seven professional seasons ... all 144 games will be broadcast live this season on KKAD AM-1550.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 8, 2004
- Sounds Drop Opener, 6-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Beavers games to be broadcast on KKAD AM-1550 and OregonLive.com - Portland Beavers
- River Cats game notes - Sacramento River Cats
- Pacific Coast League enshrines Hall of Fame class of 2004 - PCL
- Beavers open 2004 season tonight in Las Vegas - Portland Beavers
- Rainiers Open Season Tonight in Tucson - Tacoma Rainiers
- Marlins and Padres swap Minor Leaguers - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss